OHV Top End Refresh. 410 Cam? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OHV Top End Refresh. 410 Cam?

not sure, last time i checked a bit back, i had heard some of his qualoty decreased and there were some wuestionable parts sent. however, i do remeber his stuff used to rock thougu, so not too sure! i would suggest doing some googling on other forums to see what others have experienced! i think these reviews cam eafter he moved his shop, now inthink he makes em at his house not too sure. but yeah, i suggest doing a bit of homework before ordering a cam from somethinf thats not a huge company like comp or edelbrock or the like. are there no other cams that meat your spec? couldve sworn there were multiple ohv cams, but inown a sohc so i may very well be quite wrong!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ohv small aftermarket and $$$$$ to build, also stopped production 22 years ago!

Once they put the sohc into the mustang the sohc aftermarket went huge

I believe only Comp Cams and Delta Cams used to make of the shelf for OHVs, but I don't think Delta makes them anymore? And Comp Cam always has backorders

I called Delta Cam today and they said they have a grind for the 4.0 OHV. Little less lift than the Comp 410, at .450, but he said it has less issues at idle and low rpm. Either way I placed an order there and canceled my Carid order. Delta Cam quoted much much cheaper at 100 for the Regrind and 30 for the Core Deposit unless I am mistaken. Quoted around a week turn around. We will see how that goes and it'll make me more comfortable with keeping stock valve springs sense there's less lift. Still a .050 and .070 increase or so over stock though if I remember correctly.

keep us posted!!! and maybe a video after, love hearing cammed vehicles :p

Oh I definitely will. I'm considering going to the junkyard to get a core for Delta so I can keep my stock cam in case. Although if I can pay 30 extra and not send a cam back in I'd rather just do that. Now I might get those heads ported and polished with some of my cam savings haha.

Oh I definitely will. I'm considering going to the junkyard to get a core for Delta so I can keep my stock cam in case. Although if I can pay 30 extra and not send a cam back in I'd rather just do that. Now I might get those heads ported and polished with some of my cam savings haha.
ported and polished heads=mo pawa! maybe supercharge that thing too ;)

Maybe far down the road. I've still got a minor power steering leak to address, coilover brackets that need coilovers, and I'm hoping to get a Superlift or Rough Country lift before I get coilovers. But that's all pretty far out I believe.

For the cam you're talking about, you will need headers and a true dual exhaust with an X Pipe, or that will ultimately be your bottleneck....

And if you go with headers, make sure to get them ceramic coated, OR heat wrapped, OR better yet ceramic coated & heat wrapped, so as to try and keep the underhood temp heat down.

The reason is that all that heat from the headers will fry/dry out/heat crack/make brittle your 24 year old wiring harness that has been heat cycled countless times already.

I speak as a guy that has been there on a stock '85 Mustang GT with factory stock "shorty" installed headers, used as a daily driver in the Hot Environment of the PRK.

The radiator fan blowing back all the hot heat over the hot headers and spinning around in the engine compartment eventually dried out the wiring harness, and cracks developed everywhere. I spliced and heat shrink tubed the cracks for a few years, but I couldn't keep up and eventually I had to replace the engine compartment wiring harness...

+1 for lowering engine temps! these things aint getting younger, and im tired of always breaking the insulation on these underhood wires just from nudging them... they feel so crusty comepared to newer ones!!! are the ohv heades different size than the SOHC? the sohc puts out (imo) more pwoer than the ohv ever could before a SC, so would that be similair to stock SOHC? just curious, no experience w the OHV motors, though i hope to aqquire one someday...,and a v8! 🤣

Maybe far down the road. I've still got a minor power steering leak to address, coilover brackets that need coilovers, and I'm hoping to get a Superlift or Rough Country lift before I get coilovers. But that's all pretty far out I believe.
imo when youre doing the lift, do coils at the same time, makes everything jus tone tad bit easier... dunno, imo its easiest to do at the same time, but i guess theres little "overlapping work" just me likign to compartmentalize all the parts like suspension, trans,e engine

Oh I definitely hope to do coils at the same time as the lift. I've just been holding off on converting because I don't want to have to buy two sets of coilovers, pre and post lift. Main reason I wanted to get Coilovers is to get rid of the TBar brackets and remove the front swaybar.

Oh I definitely hope to do coils at the same time as the lift. I've just been holding off on converting because I don't want to have to buy two sets of coilovers, pre and post lift. Main reason I wanted to get Coilovers is to get rid of the TBar brackets and remove the front swaybar.
yeah i dont like the tbars being so low!!! but then i guess in a sense im missing the point of the lift, which imo is to lift the body and vroom vroom off the trail, so that you can fit larger tires which give everything clearence as the axles are still the same height ( :banghead: )... but imo the main advantage is getting rid of tbars, theyre more adjustable, more comfortable ride, more flex, alsoo maybe slightly moredurable? tbars are just kinda low, make. more noise than other design (maybe its just mine, dunno)... either way, go for the coils, wont regret it! (wish i had em in mine, but seenone with coils, much better imo)

I think they guy I buy my bracket kit from still makes them. It was around 95 dollars when I bought it I think. The Tbar are definitely a disadvantage and kills some of the break over angle for sure. The brackets have acted like a skidplate/rockslider on my X at least once or twice. Which would be nice except nothing would have contacted if they just weren't there.

yeah!! i high centered once on it 🤣

Consider venting your hood or lift the back of your hood at the cowl, let some heat out.

Helped a great deal in my bii
I have v8, torque monster headers and a small body drop…. Also a small v6 radiator and air conditioning with an auto trans. You want to get the heat out of the hood area for sure.
I will be wrapping my headers and down pipes next time they are out

also not sure how much this helps but i put alot of my afternarket wires in a split loom and shrinktubed the connecting points, seems to be working so far? holds up better than when i used to lesve it out... too much wokr to do to my engine harness though 🤣

I have considered hood vents in the past if I could find a style I liked. I'd love if they made Ford Raptor style hood vents to use on the X. I might hood off on headers until I plan to do a full exhaust or can find a set for an affordable price. JBA being 500 or so is too high for my taste and the Pacesetters have bad reviews from what I've seen.

Jba is good but they use factory y pipe

Borlas were the best they had their own y pipe. Hard to find anymore

Pacesetter quality is
Lower but they are still tube headers… if the price is right they can be made to work

I am using stainless steel louvered hood vents designed for a Cherokee… I love them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got any pictures of those vents? And Pacesetters are around 200-250 I believe.

Back