OHV vs. SOHC: Same Bellhousing Pattern? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OHV vs. SOHC: Same Bellhousing Pattern?

I have been asking for about a week in Modified First Gen if anyone knows, and I'm not getting anywhere. But I need to know ASAP....

Does the 4.0L SOHC share the same bellhousing pattern as the 4.0L OHV?

I have broken my 3rd M5OD in 3 years. Too much torque (Just over 300 to the crank now), too much tire (285/50-18), and too heavy for this SUV has led to each of their breakages..

If I can get a WC T-5 in their I can safely move up in power again...

Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the 4.0 SOHC has the same bell housing bolt pattern as the 4.0 OHV. I know because I put a '03 Ranger 4.0 SOHC M50D in my '97 Ranger 4.0 OHV last year. Every bolt was the same.

FINALLY some confirmation....

Thank you!

Ryan

So it is possible to stick a t5 into a 4.0 OHV truck?

Frickin Sweet!

So it is possible to stick a t5 into a 4.0 OHV truck?

Frickin Sweet!

That's what it seems like. Talk about a bullet proof tranny. that thing shoudl last forever.

Could you imagine the cost of the T-5 out of the newer Mustang's? Holy cow that transmission would be outrageous!

I think the clutch setup would be hard to adapt.

A M50D would be a good swap. I did it on my old '97 Ranger and on my current '86 BII. They are pretty strong transmissions.

Ah.

"A M50D would be a good swap. I did it on my old '97 Ranger and on my current '86 BII. They are pretty strong transmissions."

umm....NO. They are not. I have broken 3 in as many years. The Ranger, and the BII are light compared to an X. The 2.9L in the BII has nowhere near the torque/HP that I am putting down with my 4.0L.

With a T-5 installed, I can spray the motor and not worry TOO MUCH....

Ryan

I just don't see Ford's logic in this... "This transmission works good in this little, light Ranger... let's put it in a heavy Explorer"

I mean, you have engineers that are paid to think about stuff like this, are they just stupid or ignorant or what?

I just don't see Ford's logic in this... "This transmission works good in this little, light Ranger... let's put it in a heavy Explorer"
$$

Just like the GM TH400 was a bulletproof transmission and eventually replaced by the TH350 - which didnt stand up as well to high stresses. This meant more people brought their vehicles in for service on a yearly basis. Also the Explorer is based on the Ranger so things naturally transfered over.

Also the Explorer is based on the Ranger so things naturally transfered over.

But one engineer had to have thought at one point. "Hey, this Explorer is a lot heavier then the Ranger... maybe something won't work right"

I kinda wished we had Turbo 4 Cylinders instead of 6. That'd be tight!

...okay screw it....

I'm going V8....

I bought a 1997 5.0L AWD Explorer tonight....

Story goes: His wife ran a red light, was hard the brakes, slowed to about 5mph and T-boned another car doing about 20-30 mph. It had a NICE Grill Guard, but that got caught on the other car, and bent the frame...Motor, and trans are fine.....The radiator has MINOR damage.... but that's it...Airbags didn't deploy!

COMPLETE...for $450...

Gotta love craigslist!

Ryan

are you freakin serious?!

That it, I'm gonna start calling around for a whole truck.

Are you gonna swap theengine or fix up the '97?

Engine Swap.....there's no saving this X....WAY too much damage from the accident.

Ryan

what auto trans did the 4.0 sohc motors use?

i think ive heard 4r70w... now THAT swap would be talk of the town.

edit: actually it looks like it may be the 5r55w, isnt that just an updated a4ld?

edit again: acually it couldnt be cause it says its a five speed.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, it was (is?) the 5r55w. Its a wide ratio gear set, hence the W, and it is geared a little better than the 4R70W.

Ryan

Back