oil and oil pressure

jd4242

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
va beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
92explorer&94 ranger
is there any oil that will give you the highest oil pressure when the motor is hot.i get loud valve ticking when the motor gets hot and the oil pressure drops down when idle or low rpm cruising.its a new motor with everything brand new and everything measure out to spec, ive tried everything to get them to shut up,runs fine, quitter when cold and pressure up but when warm ticks away.so if there is an oil that would raise my pressure when hot by just 5psi they would be quite:scratch::scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is there any oil that will give you the highest oil pressure when the motor is hot.i get loud valve ticking when the motor gets hot and the oil pressure drops down when idle or low rpm cruising.its a new motor with everything brand new and everything measure out to spec, ive tried everything to get them to shut up,runs fine, quitter when cold and pressure up but when warm ticks away.so if there is an oil that would raise my pressure when hot by just 5psi they would be quite:scratch::scratch:

what are the specs of the oil that you are using right now, and whats the ambient temperature, and how much is hot to you

keep the engine cooler? :)

might be time to check your valvetrain after a few break in miles....your ticking = lack of oiling on the valves? after a recent rebuild this ticking would concern me!

i run castol 10w-30 now,with a fram oil filter and the temp on the truck runs around 190 to 200.i live in va beach so it doesn't get over 90 mostly around 70 to 80.i have real gauges in my truck so i can see when the truck reaches around 190 the oil pressure will drop from around 40s to 20s and thats when it ticks.when its around 25 to 30 it doesnt tick.i also have an oil cooler on the front

keep the engine cooler? :)

might be time to check your valvetrain after a few break in miles....your ticking = lack of oiling on the valves? after a recent rebuild this ticking would concern me!

that was my theory at first to,thats another reason i went to electric fans.i have, i ran the 90tm heads for awhile then swapped to the 95tm and rechecked everything and also went to dual springs with the 410 cam thinking it might of had something to do with it.everything looks good and the pushrods are right in spec.its getting oil for sure just when it warms up the pressure drops and thats when they tick

what oil, oil filter are you running and what engine/water temp????

ditch the fram filter and Castro oil!!! Seriously
the lack of a drain back valve on the fram could be hurting you
Castrol = the big suck!!

run Valvoline and a Motocraft filter, see if it still ticks, try a synth blend or full synth
oil pressure should drop when its hot, my BII runs at 42 psi cold and about 35 psi hot at idle......20 seems LOW IMO but I am just guessing here?? other oil experts may know better then I

ditch the fram filter and Castro oil!!! Seriously
the lack of a drain back valve on the fram could be hurting you
Castrol = the big suck!!

run Valvoline and a Motocraft filter, see if it still ticks, try a synth blend or full synth
oil pressure should drop when its hot, my BII runs at 42 psi cold and about 35 psi hot at idle......20 seems LOW IMO but I am just guessing here?? other oil experts may know better then I

the motor is at 300 miles so i dont want to go synthic yet but will.

I still vote Valvoline, especially for break in miles

I still vote Valvoline, especially for break in miles

i hear that its bad to use syn oil for break in,or you just saying valvoline oil in general

you are correct, you should not use a synth oil for break in period, it wont allow the rings to seat properly and more

I am saying the Castrol and FRAM may be your low oil pressure problem....

Also if the rings have not seated yet, oil pressure can suffer, lets get those rings seated then see if the ticking still exists

you think i should go ahead and change the oil filter out now,i just did the oil two days ago and dont want to do it again till i reach atleast 500.so you saying maybee the oil pressure will increase after the break in?will different weights give you higher pressure?

Just to give you another reference.

When our motor is cool (1st started) Oil pressure is around 50 psi..

Once it is HOT (i.e. been running 30 minutes in 100F weather) our idle pressure is right at about 20psi.

The pressures were lower before the rebuild (40 and 18ish).. after the rebuilt they came up a little.. but not much when hot.. more so when cool.

~Mark

Ditto, the oil pressure will not be the problem, at those #'s. Was the valvetrain checked properly when installed? Was the rocker arm clearance checked and the pushrod length confirmed for the new camshaft. If those are not just right you can get many symptoms, and noise would be the good one.

Assuming it turns out to be noise due to the different cam, then I would put the best oil in it and expect it to do fine. Loud valve trains are common with roller rockers and much higher lift cams than stock.

Start by changing the oil, you cannot do that too often during break in. I agree don't use Fram, but Castrol IMO is a good oil. I don't do Quaker State or lesser brand names, but Amsoil and Valvoline are my two choices. Pennzoil synthetic is good but way too expensive. Use a normal dino oil until 1000miles, only less if a professional fast seating cylinder hone was done. I would change to 20/50 for now, for the rest of the break in. It will do no harm, but help a hair with hot viscosity.

Just to give you another reference.

When our motor is cool (1st started) Oil pressure is around 50 psi..

Once it is HOT (i.e. been running 30 minutes in 100F weather) our idle pressure is right at about 20psi.

The pressures were lower before the rebuild (40 and 18ish).. after the rebuilt they came up a little.. but not much when hot.. more so when cool.

~Mark
do you get louder ticking when warm?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ditto, the oil pressure will not be the problem, at those #'s. Was the valvetrain checked properly when installed? Was the rocker arm clearance checked and the pushrod length confirmed for the new camshaft. If those are not just right you can get many symptoms, and noise would be the good one.

Assuming it turns out to be noise due to the different cam, then I would put the best oil in it and expect it to do fine. Loud valve trains are common with roller rockers and much higher lift cams than stock.

Start by changing the oil, you cannot do that too often during break in. I agree don't use Fram, but Castrol IMO is a good oil. I don't do Quaker State or lesser brand names, but Amsoil and Valvoline are my two choices. Pennzoil synthetic is good but way too expensive. Use a normal dino oil until 1000miles, only less if a professional fast seating cylinder hone was done. I would change to 20/50 for now, for the rest of the break in. It will do no harm, but help a hair with hot viscosity.

everthing was double check and measured.I had a custom pushrod measurer made and every rod was checked (twice once with 90tm&then with 95tm)for length as well as the lifters,I checked every one for plunger travel and the rocker assembly is new and the springs are comcams dual springs. so I know all of its fine.what filter should I use?
Posted via Mobile Device

Very good, get the FL1A from Walmart, that's the cheapest place for basic oil and filters.

never do 20w50, to heavy for this engine, the pressure will drop more or not even rise with that oil on this engine,. not alwasy more is better,. don't go beyond 10w40, ours is 20 at idle an 40psi while running, our engine is for racing, alwasy above 4500 rpms,. still no need for oil cooler, even that we ran on hot desert,
19abril09.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

never do 20w50, to heavy for this engine, the pressure will drop more or not even rise with that oil on this engine,. not alwasy more is better,. don't go beyond 10w40, ours is 20 at idle an 40psi while running, our engine is for racing, alwasy above 4500 rpms,. still no need for oil cooler, even that we ran on hot desert,
19abril09.jpg

so what oil whould help raise oil pressure at warm temps
Posted via Mobile Device

Back