Oil Build Up under Hood | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Build Up under Hood

BirdExplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Good Morning/Afternoon,

I have a 15 Explorer with 15k miles currently driven on it. Yesterday I went to add some windshield washer fluid and I noticed quite a bit of oil built up (with a little bit of dirt) mainly on the driver side of the engine/battery/airbox. I tightened all the fluid containers and looked for loose hoses but did not find any thing obvious.

Is this common with the Explorer or is there a problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil build up? I just see common dirt & dust.

The dust would not stick unless there was something for it to stick to. This EX is basically new with only 15k miles. I guess the pic does not necessarily do justice to the problem.

I am not bashing Ford or anything, I love my EX.

I have a 08 Avenger with 125k that does not have this type of build up.

The dust would not stick unless there was something for it to stick to. This EX is basically new with only 15k miles. I guess the pic does not necessarily do justice to the problem.

I suspect someone put a plastic/vinyl dressing on some of the black parts, and that's attracting the dirt & dust to stick.

Are you losing oil in the crankcase? Is any oil dripping on the ground/cement after your Ex is parked for a while? You are still under warranty so let a dealership of your choice have a look at it.

Your 2015 is immaculate under the hood compared to my 2011. I travel on many gravel roads with mine.

I suspect someone put a plastic/vinyl dressing on some of the black parts, and that's attracting the dirt & dust to stick.

That is a great point, I did not think of that.

Are you losing oil in the crankcase? Is any oil dripping on the ground/cement after your Ex is parked for a while? You are still under warranty so let a dealership of your choice have a look at it.

Your 2015 is immaculate under the hood compared to my 2011. I travel on many gravel roads with mine.

There is no obvious oil leak, I may have the dealership take a look at its next service.

What is the best way to keep under the hood clean? Should I just wipe it down with some towels?

That is a great point, I did not think of that.

There is no obvious oil leak, I may have the dealership take a look at its next service.

What is the best way to keep under the hood clean? Should I just wipe it down with some towels?

I spray simple green over my engine, let soak for several minutes and then use a slow flowing hose to rinse it all away. Works very well.. I take plastic grocery bags to cover the battery and the alternator and go to town.

I can't see your pictures, but under the hood on the driver's side is a vacuum pump driven by the cam shaft. Leaky seal on this pump would cause oil on the engine/transmission on the driver's side.

Simple solution is to just ask dealer to check for an oil leak and document it on the service write up. They will either find a leak and fix it, or give you a receipt that says there is no leak. If they suspect a leak, they can put a dye in the oil and find it better than you or anyone on the internet.

Good luck.

That picture shows what an armor all soaked engine bay looks like after some miles.

Have it detailed?

I bought a 2013 used and it was coated with armor all. Now it looks like that. Ford salesman said, we do that for every vehicle.

That picture shows what an armor all soaked engine bay looks like after some miles.

Have it detailed?

I bought a 2013 used and it was coated with armor all. Now it looks like that. Ford salesman said, we do that for every vehicle.

I dont like when they do that. But it is more appealing to someone looking to buy than to just leave everything plan and clean.

I dont like when they do that. But it is more appealing to someone looking to buy than to just leave everything plan and clean.

I hate it. I told the sales guy it's the same as putting a cheap pine tree air freshener in the car.

I don't have any oil leaks and have dust on various components. Just like in the house.:D

Peter

Back