oil change for axles and transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oil change for axles and transfer case

El Duque

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hiawatha, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer
I just changed the oil on both axles and transfer case on my 2010 with a 4.6 and just thought I'd post this, maybe it will help someone else out. It was easy! Rear axle had both a fill and drain plug, I crawled underneath and was able to get to both with a 3/8 ratchet. Drained oil and pumped in new, no problem.

Transfer case has a fill and drain plug, super easy to get to. again, 3/8 ratchet. same thing, drain and replace.

Front axle only has a fill plug, again a 3/8 ratchet, not hard to get to. had to pump out the old fluid.

So hopefully this helps someone else, I saw some posts that said the plugs were impossible to get to without adapters, and even then the clearance was super tight. But maybe that was for the 2002-2005 models, not sure

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for posting that information. Which oil did you use to refill ?

No problem! I used all valvoline oil, 75w140 synthetic for the rear, 80w90 non-synthetic for the front. For some reason, the service manual doesn't state to use synthetic in the front, and I couldn't find it two different auto-parts stores anyway. For the transfer case, valvoline has an oil just called "transfer case fluid", can be used in place of motorcraft XL12 fluid

one bit of advice I will add. ALWAYS pull the fill plug before you pull the drain plug. Why? Because if you pull the drain plug first, then for some reason cant get the fill plug out, that really, really sucks....

Wasn’t one of the rear pumpkin 3/4 square drive?

On mine the rear pumpkin has 2 size plugs, 3/8 and a bigger one, I guess it's 3/4.

No, and I've read that on this forum! all of the plugs were 3/8

Since we don't have any pictures, where about are the drain / fill plugs located ? What was the procedure, just remove plugs, drain, put drain plug back in, fill and plug ? about how much oil does it take to refill ?

Mine had the 3/4 square drive. I finally changed it last month for the first time around 135,000

I will try to get a picture of the rear pumpkin when I have it up on the lift again in January

This reminds me of a thread someone started on another forum I frequent. Not to imply that this thread is asking the same question - just that it reminds me of it. It drew more than a few laughs - so I thought I'd share. To quote - the OP titled the thread:

Is it OK if I ******** my pumpkin?

Yeah - we are a dirty minded bunch over there.....

Sorry it took so long, but these pics of two different 2005 explorer rears at my job show both have 3/8 fill and 3/4 drains. My 2006 is the same
9795A0FF-9693-4198-AA9C-B688A2BD2C61.jpeg
D067D754-9300-46DF-A781-68BED38DC349.jpeg

they are not both drain plugs... the smaller one is the fill plug.

yeah, exactly

Michael clearly said:

"both have 3/8 fill and 3/4 drains."

Back