• Register Today It's free!

Oil change Interval changed.

explorer_UAE

Reaction score
City, State
Abu Dhabi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer 4.0 v6
I have a 2005 4.0L V6 Explorer.. I have been getting oil changes at 5000 kms intervals but at the last oil change i got the 10000 kms oil but after 5000 kms the "change oil soon" message has come on. Do I have to get the oi changed or do I drive to 10000 kms and then change the oil..Is there anyway to reset the system so that it knows that the oil is of the 10000 kms variety..Apologies for the bad english.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With these plastic timing chain guides getting old and brittle I would drop back to the 3000 mile changes.
I recently had my chains completely redone and the tech recommende 3000 miles even with all new stuff.
This was not a quick oil change place, it was a Ford mechanic.
In fact the 3 of them were certified by ford then opened their own indipendant shop.
No they do not do oil changes unless they have to go into the engine and drain the oil.

I have a 2005 4.0L V6 Explorer.. I have been getting oil changes at 5000 kms intervals but at the last oil change i got the 10000 kms oil but after 5000 kms the "change oil soon" message has come on. Do I have to get the oi changed or do I drive to 10000 kms and then change the oil..Is there anyway to reset the system so that it knows that the oil is of the 10000 kms variety..Apologies for the bad english.

Welcome to the forum! Happy to see someone representing the Middle East on here. I hope you stick around.

The message on the dash saying 'Change Oil Soon', just approximates a 5000km distance of driving (roughly) and then blinks. If you plan on going 10,000km with a higher quality oil, then you can reset the message and it will count down another 5000km.

Your owner's manual should have instructions on how to reset the oil message, it should not be hard.

-Dubya

Yes, you can reset the 5,000 mile "oil change interval" message at any time, the car won't blow up if you don't or just scroll thru the message board menu and look for oil change interval, then follow the directions on how to reset it, and no, the PCM has no way of knowing you are using a high mileage type of motor oil. My advice, change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles. You don't want to cheap out of the life blood of your motor.

Yes, you can reset the 5,000 mile "oil change interval" message at any time, the car won't blow up if you don't or just scroll thru the message board menu and look for oil change interval, then follow the directions on how to reset it, and no, the PCM has no way of knowing you are using a high mileage type of motor oil. My advice, change your oil and filter every 3,000 miles. You don't want to cheap out of the life blood of your motor.

(5,000 kilometers ≈ 3,000 miles)

(5,000 kilometers ≈ 3,000 miles)

Thanks, I knew the rough estimate on that! Not on the metric system here.

I based my oil change recommendation off of the OP's suggestion of doing oil changes at 10,000 KHMs>>>>>>>>OP>>>> but at the last oil change i got the 10000 kms oil >>>>>>>>>> Is there anyway to reset the system so that it knows that the oil is of the 10000 kms variety..<<<<<<<<<<<

Back