Oil Change interval | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

First oil change....

Just got a new XLT 4WD, surprisingly car only has 12 miles. I was wondering when did you have your first oil change?
Dealer told me every 7500 miles , I thought you have to do your first oil chnage sooner than that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go by what the owners manual says. The oil life monitor will tell you when it's time.

Get your first oil change soon, 2,000 to 3,000 is my suggestion. After that, 7,500 or whatever is sorta close to that. It's honestly an opinion, just some people's opinion is more fact based than others.
If you really wanna learn about oil, I'd suggest you go to bobistheoilguy.com

Oh boy here we go again

Get your first oil change soon, 2,000 to 3,000 is my suggestion. After that, 7,500 or whatever is sorta close to that. It's honestly an opinion, ...

I know you said it as your opinion but what is it based on? Please educate me, what do you know about this Ford engine that the people who built and designed it don't? The engineers and designers (who studied hard in school, got good grades so they could work at Ford) wrote in the manual to change the oil when the car tells me too. Why should I not believe them and do what you suggest? Really, tell me. I really want to know why some people don't trust and believe what the engineers and designers recommend.

I say save money by not doing unnecessary oil changes, save natural resources by doing less oil changes, and make less of an impact on the environment by dumping less waste oil. I follow the manual. I believe that highly educated engineers with many years experience are not going to lie to me.

I know you said it as your opinion but what is it based on? Please educate me, what do you know about this Ford engine that the people who built and designed it don't? The engineers and designers (who studied hard in school, got good grades so they could work at Ford) wrote in the manual to change the oil when the car tells me too. Why should I not believe them and do what you suggest? Really, tell me. I really want to know why some people don't trust and believe what the engineers and designers recommend.

I say save money by not doing unnecessary oil changes, save natural resources by doing less oil changes, and make less of an impact on the environment by dumping less waste oil. I follow the manual. I believe that highly educated engineers with many years experience are not going to lie to me.

Couldn't have said it better myself:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I believe that highly educated engineers with many years experience are not going to lie to me.

Those highly educated and so truthful engineers that built the Titanic said it was unsinkable. Care to explain that?

Volcano375 - You can change your oil when you feel it necessary. You have choices. As long as you do change it, is all that matters. Just make sure you regularly change oil AND filter.Also use only 5w20 in your Ex.
I go 5000 miles between oil changes because I drive my trucks in dusty conditions and also drive them hard. If you drive in non dusty conditions and lots of highway miles, then 7500 miles would suffice.You can also go by the oil life monitor in your Ex. It all depends on what you do with your truck.
There are so many opinions on oil it's crazy.

Just got a new XLT 4WD, surprisingly car only has 12 miles. I was wondering when did you have your first oil change?
Dealer told me every 7500 miles , I thought you have to do your first oil chnage sooner than that.
Welcome to the Forum volcano375.:wavey:
If you do a 'search' on this topic you will find that there are already several threads on it and as many opinions as there are stars in the sky.:)
I drive mainly very short trips and faithfully change the oil every 6 months. My annual mileage works out to about 4000 miles.

Peter

Had the very first oil change done at the 1,000 mile mark, and switched to a full synthetic. Did oil change #2 at 5,000 miles and #3 at 5,000 miles. Now I have it done every 7,000 miles (with about 25% remaining on the oil life indicator).

I've used all kinds of full synthetic...5W20....0W30...5W30...0W40.....and now trying 5W40 Turbo Diesel. All Mobil 1. So far, I like this 5W40 best.

I'm over 73,000 miles now, and the Limited has been rock solid.

Going in tomorrow, early, for a complete coolant system flush and transmission fluid change.

I've never done any UOA's on the Ford, but I do on my toys (Porsches). Based on my experience, and others, that first oil change shows a lot of wear metal (as expected). That's why I have always done the first oil change at about the 1,000 mile mark. With all my new cars. For the past +20 years. Works for me. Cheap insurance. About $75 for the Fords (or free if I get it negotiated in the sales process) and about $300 for the toys.

was wondering when did you have your first oil change?

10K miles, or when the oil life indicator shows a change is required. Mobil 1 5W-20 (WalMart), and Motorcraft FL-500S filters (Amazon - box of 6).

Any sooner is a waste of money and the environment. I have UOA'd the oil and 10K is fine under normal driving conditions.

The "First Oil Change" at 500 or 1000 miles is male bovine excrement. It's an uneducated myth. What do you think the oil filter and the additive package in the oil is doing?

changing the oil is not a myth on the first 500 miles or 1000 miles...my guess is you have never actually rebuilt an engine or revived a dead one. Newer cars have newer technology Oil has so much tech involved in them its unreal, but that myth came from the backyard mechanics who actually found metal dust in the oil as the rebuilt engine seats. my 1998 TA i stroked out to a 383 had metal dust and grime from the rebuild and before you say i can't rebuild an engine, i sold it w/ 211k on that engine and it still ran strong. I just don't think its necessary on modern cars so i would hold out until 3k to feel more comfortable...I plan on changing my sport oil during this time and then using the oil around my fence line to kill weeds. Plus i recycle my antifreeze by feeding it to stray animals.

Had the very first oil change done at the 1,000 mile mark, and switched to a full synthetic. Did oil change #2 at 5,000 miles and #3 at 5,000 miles. Now I have it done every 7,000 miles (with about 25% remaining on the oil life indicator).

I've used all kinds of full synthetic...5W20....0W30...5W30...0W40.....and now trying 5W40 Turbo Diesel. All Mobil 1. So far, I like this 5W40 best.

I'm over 73,000 miles now, and the Limited has been rock solid.

Going in tomorrow, early, for a complete coolant system flush and transmission fluid change.

I've never done any UOA's on the Ford, but I do on my toys (Porsches). Based on my experience, and others, that first oil change shows a lot of wear metal (as expected). That's why I have always done the first oil change at about the 1,000 mile mark. With all my new cars. For the past +20 years. Works for me. Cheap insurance. About $75 for the Fords (or free if I get it negotiated in the sales process) and about $300 for the toys.

Curious to know what the benefits of a 40W oil are when the manuacturer says to use 5W20? That thick of a hot oil cannot be good for certain parts.

Curious to know what the benefits of a 40W oil are when the manuacturer says to use 5W20? That thick of a hot oil cannot be good for certain parts.

Some of the old timers think 'heavier has to be better', which in reality is wrong....

Plenty of articles, with facts, can be found with a quick Google search on this topic. On bobistheoilguy.com, this has been disproven over and over and over again.

Search the internet for "sludge" and engine damage lawsuits. There are quite a few people suing mfgrs for damaged engines. they even had teh dealers service their engines using the mfgr's specified guidelines. Then when the engine seizes the dealer tells them it isn't covered under warranty. it is then found out that the sludge caused the engine failures! Sludge that could have been prevented if the oil was changed more often. read more often then the dealer/mfgr is telling you to! Toyota, VW/Audi, Mercedes Benz and BMW have been having major issues with sludge and they have 7500 or higher oil change intervals.

Fair question. I don't have an answer for you. Sorry. I think the main reason Ford recommends 5W20 is for the MPG claim. I do lose about 1-2 MPG's. I really don't care about MPG's.

I've driven over 335,000 miles in Ford Explorers since 2003. Always used a "thicker" oil then "recommended". Never had an issue. And I'm sure I drive my Explorer harder than 99% of the members on this forum.

Works for me. Just one datapoint.

Some of the old timers think 'heavier has to be better', which in reality is wrong.....

Who you calling an "old timer", punk? I'll send you home to momma in a bucket.:)

As I said, it's an opinion. The 7,500 is the engineers opinion.

I'm an engineering major who will hopefully have their job some day (well sorta, start my own business but still), my dad is a motorcycle mechanic, cousin was an intern at saleen, grandpa/uncle restore classic cars, and well you get the point.

Engines are filled with crap new. You're first oil change should be done soon to wash out the metal shavings from machining, dust from air in a shop, and who knows what else got in there. Brittany may have broke a nail bolting you valve cover on, and now you got a nail floating in there. The oil filter can only filter down to a certain size, besides they do have bypass valves. The bypass valve allows oil to not be filtered if the oil pump is pulling it faster than the filter can flow (eh, not really going to happen), or if the filter is clogging up and not keeping up with the oil pump (very likely, especially with a new engine.) Just as an fyi, I clean every part before it goes in. Even the rc car engines need a good wiping down with oil.
I say go ahead and spend $40 or so to wash all that crud out.

As to future oil changes, do it at 7,500 with whatever synthetic oil ford uses. Should be fine unless you drive in dusty conditions, drive short distances, or drive aggressively. If so, change it sooner. It's your engine, if you wanna save the earth why are you driving a large SUV? Get a hybrid and use the Nextgen oil...

Using a thicker oil is helpful but only to a degree. Ford and the other manufactures are recommending a thinner oil to up the EPA figures and meet CAFE.

If you really wanna get into your oil, start sending samples to Blackstone laboratories. I've done it, and recommend so to anyone who wants to know whats going on in their engine and how much the oil has degraded.

Personally, my 97 Explorer gets the oil changed every 12,000 miles with 5w30 Amsoil Signature series. The oil is still very useable at 12,000 miles. I could go 20,000+ but I don't wanna. It's my baby.
My 91 Ranger I just bought, so I'm not sure what I'll do. It'll be getting whatever's on sale. Probably 5w30 dino oil every 3,000 miles. It leaks oil, and I don't care about that truck. It's just my 35mpg DD with unknown miles.

First Oil Change???

just wanted to know when you all got your first oil change???

There are already multiple threads on this topic....please do a search.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did a search already and found mult posts on type of oil but not when... please point me in the right direction

Back