Oil Change interval | Page 35 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Not knocking anyone's decision as it is their own choice. I will throw out there after the above post.. if you go beyond 10k oil changes, kiss goodbye your engine warranty as well as if you add a bypass.

To each their own but choose wisely.

The dealer we bought our '17 Explorer from provides a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain. As part of that warranty they require oil change intervals of 5,000 miles (nobody bothered to tell us that part, though.) Took it in for the first oil change at about 8,200 miles and with the oil life showing at 35%. The head of the service shop took meticulous records and notes and said we'd be covered, but to stay within the 5,000 miles in the future. He said 'technically' they (the company providing the warranty) will allow up to 10,000 between changes, but that there's a lot more haggling that occurs if a problem arises.

At any rate 5,000 miles works for me. I'd rather be 'safer than sorry' should something major happen with the drivetrain. And realistically it only adds about an additional $60 a year in maintenance costs which to me is much better than forking out $2,000-$5,000 down the road should something implode. Even if we go trouble free for ten years we're still only 'out' an additional $600-ish dollars versus if we went by the oil life indicator and you always have that 'get out of jail free' card in your back pocket.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dealer we bought our '17 Explorer from provides a lifetime warranty on the drivetrain. As part of that warranty they require oil change intervals of 5,000 miles (nobody bothered to tell us that part, though.) Took it in for the first oil change at about 8,200 miles and with the oil life showing at 35%. The head of the service shop took meticulous records and notes and said we'd be covered, but to stay within the 5,000 miles in the future. He said 'technically' they (the company providing the warranty) will allow up to 10,000 between changes, but that there's a lot more haggling that occurs if a problem arises.

At any rate 5,000 miles works for me. I'd rather be 'safer than sorry' should something major happen with the drivetrain. And realistically it only adds about an additional $60 a year in maintenance costs which to me is much better than forking out $2,000-$5,000 down the road should something implode. Even if we go trouble free for ten years we're still only 'out' an additional $600-ish dollars versus if we went by the oil life indicator and you always have that 'get out of jail free' card in your back pocket.

Why is the lifetime warranty for the drivetrain and not the engine, considering they are basing the coverage on their suggested OCI?

Why is the lifetime warranty for the drivetrain and not the engine, considering they are basing the coverage on their suggested OCI?
I guess I should have explained that. They consider the engine part of the drivetrain. I asked about it when signing the papers. Hey, as long as it's all covered I don't care what they prefer to call it, haha.

Most people consider those lifetime drivetrain warranties as gimmicks. Make sure you read the fine print. Mine says that oil changes must be done no later than 5,000 miles and that all paperwork for maintenance and repairs must be kept. There are a bunch of other conditions as well that make it difficult to actually comply with the warranty rules. Do a google search for these warranties and see what kind of success rates people are having trying to get them honored. It's not very good. And they're often declined for ridiculous reasons like changing your oil at 5100 miles instead of before 5000 miles.

Most people consider those lifetime drivetrain warranties as gimmicks. Make sure you read the fine print. Mine says that oil changes must be done no later than 5,000 miles and that all paperwork for maintenance and repairs must be kept. There are a bunch of other conditions as well that make it difficult to actually comply with the warranty rules. Do a google search for these warranties and see what kind of success rates people are having trying to get them honored. It's not very good. And they're often declined for ridiculous reasons like changing your oil at 5100 miles instead of before 5000 miles.
I'd tend to agree with you on this. In fact we were offered the same thing when we bought our 2016 Dodge Charger R/T earlier this year from a different dealer and chose free oil changes for life, instead. But we've had two different friends end up using said warranty and there was zero issues with either case. As far as records go that's kind of why I pay slightly more to get it serviced where I bought it. I keep my side of the paperwork, but they keep meticulous records as well.

In regards to the 'over mileage' thing, I kind of freaked out when I took it in for the first change at 8,200 miles, haha. I was like 'don't tell me I've already blown the warranty' and the head service guy told me not to worry, that 'it happens' and showed me the notes he put in (about the life of the oil, etc) and said as long as I met the time frames from here on out there wouldn't be an issue. Last oil change I went in for I asked again for 'reassurance' and he showed me the 'fine print' of the warranty guidelines. Basically they prefer them done at or before 5,000 miles but 10,000 miles is their cut off. He then stressed again that things are just 'much easier' if you abide by the 5,000 rule of thumb.

Two different dealers in two different towns. One has better deals, but you feel like a piece of meat. The other (the one with the warranty) still has good deals and seems to be much more 'buyer friendly.' We've bought three cars from the 'meat market' dealer, but after this last go around with them (we purchased a different set of factory wheels for the vehicle at purchase, they at first refused to give me the old factory wheels) I doubt we go back. A couple grand over 5 or 6 years isn't enough to deal with the frustration of that place.

(Sorry for going a bit off topic, just trying to give a comparison of the two dealers.)

I think this has been brought up somewhere in the thread, but when was the last time you heard of an engine failure due to poor lubrication or internal wear when following manufacturer's recommended oil change interval? This day in age, something else usually dies or kills the engine before engine wear issues arise. My opinion is that if you follow the manufactures instructions, there's a low probably of engine wear killing an engine in less than 200K miles(again, just opinion).

so check out the requirements for transmission fluid flush and or filter swap and Differential or trans axel and the like. IE I bet they also want 36K or so mile servicing for those too - so keep that on your list.

so check out the requirements for transmission fluid flush and or filter swap and Differential or trans axel and the like. IE I bet they also want 36K or so mile servicing for those too - so keep that on your list.
Just got a post card a couple of weeks ago nudging me about my '20,000 mile checkup.' Still at 17,500-ish miles, but my next oil change is due at 18,450 and we're taking a 1,500-2,000 mile trip soon, so I'll I'll just get the oil change and the 20,000 service done around 18,000 miles just before said trip. But I like the reminder of upcoming service.

Honestly their service people are some of the nicest I've ever been around. Granted, I know part of that is their job, but to me they act more like everyday people than Ford mechanics. Heck, my uncle is a mechanic at our local Ford shop and I think these guys are nicer than he is, haha.

Not knocking anyone's decision as it is their own choice. I will throw out there after the above post.. if you go beyond 10k oil changes, kiss goodbye your engine warranty as well as if you add a bypass.

To each their own but choose wisely.

I agree, I wouldn't go beyond 10,000 miles on Motorcraft Synthetic Blend oil. I change at 15% at 8500 miles. Then again, i just read the other post after yours, that the service person told that oil could last to 10K miles.

It is expensive to be overly conservative. New upgraded quality oil last longer than we think. Soon, there may be oil coming out that do NOT need to be changed. Just wait.

I am waiting for my warranty to expire at 100k then I will go for Amsoil ByPass system or the 25,000 mile full sythetic oil. It may be expensive to buy but cheaper in the long run. Amsoil will cover the engine damages if Amsoil was at fault for engine damage. Why don't y'all try reading info at Dead Link Removed

I am waiting for my warranty to expire at 100k then I will go for Amsoil ByPass system or the 25,000 mile full sythetic oil. It may be expensive to buy but cheaper in the long run. Amsoil will cover the engine damages if Amsoil was at fault for engine damage. Why don't y'all try reading info at Dead Link Removed

Few things - read that warranty carefully. They warrant damage due to wear while using their oil exclusively. if you go your 100K miles on something else beyond maker warranty - they won't warranty your damage at 120K when it eats a cam bearing. If however you had records you used Amsoil stuff from the day you bought the car - different story.

now honestly if you do indeed go 100K - what worries do you have on engine damage. It's well worn at that point and you might do well moving up a viscosity grade.

my wife's 17 Limited is approaching 4000 miles, should I wait till 5000 or later. Had the car since April. TIA

my wife's 17 Limited is approaching 4000 miles, should I wait till 5000 or later. Had the car since April. TIA
Hi Tom. Now that your thread has been moved here you can see that it is a very popular question. Basically you can chose to change it anytime before it hits 10k miles. The Manual says the IOLM (Intelligent Oil Life Monitor) will alert you to an oil change if you wish to go that route. You can always pull up the 'Monitor' to check what percentage the oil life is at. If you use the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right) you will find several threads on this topic. I change mine about every 6 months at the same time that I have the wheels and tires swapped for Winter/Summer. In my case because I don't drive that much it works out to about every 2500 miles.

Peter

Do you trust oil monitor?

Hello everyone, first post on the site, so I’ll keep keep it simple- maybe. I’ll introduce myself in the right sub forum as well.

I have a 2017 Explorer with 12,518 Miles. Had the oil changed at 6,205 with x0-5w20-bsp semi synthetic- so 6,300 Miles in. My city/highway mileage split is probably 60/40 and my oil monitor is currently at 37%. Recommendations for oil intervals are all over:

Dealer sticker: 3,000 Miles
Explorer manual: 10,000 Miles
Oil monitor: 10,002 Miles
Personal recommendations: 5,000-10,000

I was actually shocked that the Oil Monitor was spot on to the 10,000 within two Miles.

I guess my ask to you all, is do you trust the oil monitor and is it reasonable to go 7,500-8,000 Miles on the semi-syn from the dealer with all the wide ranging recommendations?

I ran a Blackstone report on my Taurus when I had it, using the IOLM--the life estimates were spot on. So yes, I trust, presuming you're using good quality oil.

Hello everyone, first post on the site, so I’ll keep keep it simple- maybe. I’ll introduce myself in the right sub forum as well.

I have a 2017 Explorer with 12,518 Miles. Had the oil changed at 6,205 with x0-5w20-bsp semi synthetic- so 6,300 Miles in. My city/highway mileage split is probably 60/40 and my oil monitor is currently at 37%. Recommendations for oil intervals are all over:

Dealer sticker: 3,000 Miles
Explorer manual: 10,000 Miles
Oil monitor: 10,002 Miles
Personal recommendations: 5,000-10,000

I was actually shocked that the Oil Monitor was spot on to the 10,000 within two Miles.

I guess my ask to you all, is do you trust the oil monitor and is it reasonable to go 7,500-8,000 Miles on the semi-syn from the dealer with all the wide ranging recommendations?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The IOLM has been discussed many times. You will probably find several posts on it in this thread.
Also, please complete your registration by adding the required "Trim Level" of the Explorer to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be very useful at times. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tested: Can Engine Oil Really Last 20,000 Miles?

Found an interesting article complete with the video below. Video is 22+ minutes. If you last the entire video you'll notice that at the end they still recommend to follow the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval if your vehicle is under warranty.

Wanted to be the first to drag this thread back up in the New Year! :D

Peter

Back