Oil Change interval | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Easy solution. It's your vehicle. It's your money. Do what you want!:):thumbsup:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know, the last place I worked at sent oil in for analysis and we got back the results to determine oil change intervals for fleet service. It is invaluable info for...fleet service vehicles. It was used to help schedule maintenance intervals for our fleet. It's a good deal and is very accurate.

However, interjecting this type of 'service' into a thread like this is advice that will probably be ignored by the normal consumer but, none the less, it's good advice but, it's still subjective in the context of threads like these. Subjective as advice like any other advice given. Not the content or it's usefulness but, as advice.

As I said, I am quite familiar with the process but, find no need to use it because, IMO, it is more useful in a fleet service venue than it is in a normal, consumer venue. Do it if it gives you peace of mind. :salute:

100% agree with you in every aspect. I don't continue to do the analysis.. two was enough. All I wanted to know what when the oil life monitor tells me to change soon (down to 10% life), how the oil was doing and if the monitor was accurate. I changed it at that point and sent it in.

I was told to go another 1,000 miles on the next oil change as everything was great and the protection was well above the minimum requirements. I didn't go further because that confirmed the OLM does indeed work after 2 confirmations.

So now I just change it based on when it warns me.

As said, oil changes are cheap insurance but it's wasted money if you are just doing it to do it rather then doing it because you should.

:thumbsup:

You know, the last place I worked at sent oil in for analysis and we got back the results to determine oil change intervals for fleet service. It is invaluable info for...fleet service vehicles. It was used to help schedule maintenance intervals for our fleet. It's a good deal and is very accurate.

However, interjecting this type of 'service' into a thread like this is advice that will probably be ignored by the normal consumer but, none the less, it's good advice but, it's still subjective in the context of threads like these. Subjective as advice like any other advice given. Not the content or it's usefulness but, as advice.

As I said, I am quite familiar with the process but, find no need to use it because, IMO, it is more useful in a fleet service venue than it is in a normal, consumer venue. Do it if it gives you peace of mind. :salute:

something I find far more useful on fleet vehicles - that I'd like to see on cars - is the bypass light for a oil filter bypass. IE it will tell you the filter needs to be replaced. Course I'd also like to see all car engines move over to dry sump but that's a whole other animal.

100% agree with you in every aspect. I don't continue to do the analysis.. two was enough. All I wanted to know what when the oil life monitor tells me to change soon (down to 10% life), how the oil was doing and if the monitor was accurate. I changed it at that point and sent it in.

I was told to go another 1,000 miles on the next oil change as everything was great and the protection was well above the minimum requirements. I didn't go further because that confirmed the OLM does indeed work after 2 confirmations.

So now I just change it based on when it warns me.

As said, oil changes are cheap insurance but it's wasted money if you are just doing it to do it rather then doing it because you should.

:thumbsup:

+1. I sent 2 oil samples in for analysis and they said about the same thing. The said I could extend it out to about 10k miles on the oil before it lost enough of it's lubricating properties to cause additional wear. That was @ about 20-25% remaining on the OLM and around 7500-8000 miles using synthetic oil.

I may go 8500-9000 miles on the next change or maybe to 10% on the OLM, but probably not much beyond that. I may have that analyzed as well, but we'll see.

even though Mobil1 guarantees their extended life stuff will go 12 months or 15,000 miles, i'd rather not have to deal with possible warranty issues (especially since I'm nearing in on 12 months anyways).

the display now says "oil change required", which apparently means the OLM is at 0%. i've ordered a kit from Blackstone. as soon as it comes, i will have my oil changed, and send it in for analysis. then we'll see how accurate the OLM system is, and if/how far beyond it I can go.

2016 Platinum Question

Is the proper procedure to just follow the Oil Life Monitor for the first oil change, or is the first oil change to be done sooner? I saw nothing about changing the oil after the first 1000 mile break in in the manual. Our truck is coming up on 2200 miles and the Oil Life Monitor indicated 81% remaining.

I did mine at 60% oil life, which was around 3700 miles and 3.5months.

I'm making my appointment tomorrow for the first oil change. I'm at 5000 miles which is what my dealer put on the windshield sticker. I'm also at 57% remaining oil life and as you point out, there is no information about early oil change interval in the manual like we used to do. This is my first new car in 12 years so I'm curious to see who else checks in.

There are several huge long threads on this debate.

In summary there are two camps:

Camp#1 Follow the OLMS recommendation as set out by the engineers who built the engine.

Camp#2 Disregard the OLMS recommendation as set out by the engineers who built the engine and go with the 20 year old belief that those engineers really dont know anything. Just because they designed, engineered, and tested these engines they really don't know what they are talking about. It is far better to believe your Grandfather who told you to disregard what anyone said and change the oil every 3000-5000 miles because that's what he did. After all Grandpa knows more than some stupid algorithm made up by some geek, right?

Take your pick.

^ love it lol.

Oil analysis tests have indicated the oil life monitor to actually be conservative and that the oil has more life in it then when it tells you to change it.

Just follow it and enjoy your Explorer or throw money away and do it early because it is "cheap insurance" as others will state.

Is the proper procedure to just follow the Oil Life Monitor for the first oil change, or is the first oil change to be done sooner? I saw nothing about changing the oil after the first 1000 mile break in in the manual. Our truck is coming up on 2200 miles and the Oil Life Monitor indicated 81% remaining.
Charles, as has been mentioned, this has been discussed many, many times. Using the forum's 'Search' function you will find many helpful threads including this 22 page thread with which yours has been merged.
There isn't much that hasn't already been brought up here during the 6 years that the 5th generation has been produced.

Peter

I did a search but only found threads that discussed the oil change intervals. I'm specifically asking about the FIRST oil change and was wondering if it should be done sooner because of the break in process. I have an Oil Life Monitor system on my Cadillac and only change when it says that it is time. I also plan to do the same with the Explorer.

there are several huge long threads on this debate.

Camp#1 follow the olms recommendation as set out by the engineers who built the engine.

Camp#2 disregard the olms recommendation as set out by the engineers who built the engine and go with the 20 year old belief that those engineers really dont know anything. Just because they designed, engineered, and tested these engines they really don't know what they are talking about. It is far better to believe your grandfather who told you to disregard what anyone said and change the oil every 3000-5000 miles because that's what he did. After all grandpa knows more than some stupid algorithm made up by some geek, right?

Take your pick.

+1

Camp#1 Follow the OLMS recommendation as set out by the engineers who built the engine.

Camp#2 Disregard the OLMS recommendation as set out by the engineers who built the engine and go with the 20 year old belief that those engineers really dont know anything. Just because they designed, engineered, and tested these engines they really don't know what they are talking about. It is far better to believe your Grandfather who told you to disregard what anyone said and change the oil every 3000-5000 miles because that's what he did. After all Grandpa knows more than some stupid algorithm made up by some geek, right?

Take your pick.

And why did gandpa and pa change their oil every 3k? First, oil was not the quality it is today, but also so gas stations and then quick oil change places could make more money. We didn't have mail out oil analysis companies 30 years ago (that I'm aware of) - and since then semi-synthetic oil has been refined even better. Especially with viscosity.

And synthetics had a bad rap 30 years ago for causing leaking. Could cause seals to shrink and oil leaked from crankshaft seals and rocker cover seals.

All that has changed. Semi-synthetic and synthetic are improved and go much further than they used to on their own - and engine technology has helped it along further.

Take your pick.

The only problem is that it's the marketing folks that set the OLMS recommendation not the engineers...

The only problem is that it's the marketing folks that set the OLMS recommendation not the engineers...

If that is true, I'm surprised they let it go one full year for low mileage driving. Some people are more comfortable with 6 month changes with a lot of short, stop and go trips that may total 3k miles a year.

While I think we do have an oil change industry that is motivated financially for shorter intervals, some people are also more comfortable with shorter intervals. They feel it is a small price for piece of mind.

Me. I'd change at the 9-10 month interval with 3k miles of a lot stop and go a year with semi-synthetic on a NA V6. Everybody has their comfort level.

If that is true, I'm surprised they let it go one full year for low mileage driving. Some people are more comfortable with 6 month changes with a lot of short, stop and go trips that may total 3k miles a year.

While I think we do have an oil change industry that is motivated financially for shorter intervals, some people are also more comfortable with shorter intervals. They feel it is a small price for piece of mind.

Me. I'd change at the 9-10 month interval with 3k miles of a lot stop and go a year with semi-synthetic on a NA V6. Everybody has their comfort level.

I'm sure Ford knows exactly how long they want each vehicle to last in order to maximize profit - as a business person, I hope they know that...

Anyway, if the vehicle life is too short they lose reputation, sales and the quality that allows them to be a premium car company and charge premium prices. Too long and future new sales drop.

I can only imagine that maintenance recommendations are made considering these same trade-offs.

I did a search but only found threads that discussed the oil change intervals. I'm specifically asking about the FIRST oil change and was wondering if it should be done sooner because of the break in process. I have an Oil Life Monitor system on my Cadillac and only change when it says that it is time. I also plan to do the same with the Explorer.
The first should be no different then the subsequent changes. If it was, it would be mentioned in the manual. Some like to do it early to flush out deposits etc. I don't and have never had any issues. BTW there are a few threads on first oil changes. Your never going to get a consensus on oil changes period.

Peter

Got it. Thanks, Peter!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know where you heard that or read that but it is indeed completely false.

Back