• Register Today It's free!

Oil change poll

PPro

Reaction score
City, State
Whitmore Lake, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport
Well there are a ton of oil change threads on this forum as I'm sure you all know. What I haven't seen is one thread with everyones oil change habits posted. I think it would be a good reference for those looking for recommendations on what to use, how long to use it, etc. It could even cut down on the oil change thread clutter. I start, hopefully you guys will add your own stories. :thumbsup:

I used to use:
-Whatever 5w-30 oil was on sale
-Fram Oil Filter
-Fram Air Filter
-Changed at 4-5k miles

Now I use:
-Amsoil 5w-30
-Motorcraft Air Filter
-Motorcraft Oil Filter (After reading on here that the Motorcraft is actually rated better than Fram, and it is also cheaper).
-I just started using the Amsoil, so I dont have a change interval yet. I'm kind of wondering how long you guys use your Synthetic oil and the filters.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my motor takes 8 qts, i use the cheap stuff at work with the cheap filter... costs me about 8 bucks each oil change, i do it about every 2-3 k miles which is about once every 3 months or so

- Mobil 1 15,000 mile synthetic
- Motorcraft oil filter
- Changed every 10,000 miles

mobil 1 5w30 synthetic, wix filters, and about every 2500-3000 miles.

So some people actually do go the full 25k-30k? Man, I'd think at least the filter would need to be changed by then... Hmmm

Every 3000

4qts 10w-30 Havoline
1qts Lucas synthetic oil stablizer

Motorcraft oil filter

the K&N filters have a little bolt head molded into the filter, so you can get a socket or a box wrench on it... too bad they are like $20 bucks a peice =)

Mobil-1 5-30 synth
Puralator Pure 1 filter
every 5k

At that same time I dump a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in to the gas tank.

Havoline 10W-40
Motorcraft filter

Change at 5,000 in the '92
Change around 10,000 in the '91 cause it gets a fresh quart every 1,000 miles anyway (rear main)

Every 5000
4,5 litres Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-40

5W30 Motor Oil Super Premium
Motorcraft oil filter
Change 3000 miles

Mobile 1 either 5W30 in the winter and 10W30 in the summer. Changed every 5000 miles.
Fram Tough Guard filer every 5000
MAC intake filter don't truel nkow the cleaning interval so I should probably clean it soon

I use branded dino oil... 10-30/20-50 (summers) and Motorcraft filters, sometimes Fram... In winter I switch to synthetic for the cold months.... I change oil every 3K, I use full synthetic all winter without change. I have 215K on the Explorer which still looks good on a leakdown test. I have 120K on a Merc Sable, but I got it with 65K on it.... but believe it to be well cared for... other than the fact it is an oil burner... always has been. Like Monmix I throw in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner every other oil change. I change ATF every other year (sometimes every 3rd) and coolant about every 30,000 miles (sometimes that is every other year sometimes every 3rd). I change my underwear every day.

Amsoil Series 2000 0W30 once a year (anywhere from 10k-15k miles). Filter (sometimes) at 6 months (but no more, now that they have the full 25k filters out).

In all of my cars (96 carolla, 00 XLT SOHC, 01 MPV) I have used Mobil 1 10W30 and fram oil filters and changed at 5K. I just changed oil in my XLT and am trying the newer Mobil 1 15K oil. I don't think it will go the 15K, might change at 10K. I do know that the Mobil 1 is better than regular oil.

Motorcraft/Purolator Oil filter
Havoline 5w30 winter, 10w30 summer

every 3,000 miles

Penrite HPR10, 10W50 Semi Synthetic every 5000k’s
Motorcraft oil filter every 10,000k’s

Castrol Syntec,full synthetic 5w30.Fram or Motorcraft filters.
Changed on average every 5,000 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you guys change the filter before the oil, do you just drain the oil into a clean pan, change the filter, then dump the oil back in the truck?

My oil pan is filthy after years of old oil being dumped into it, maybe I'll have to invest in a new one just for the "semi clean" oil.

I'm trying to develop a interval for my Amsoil/Motorcraft filters, but I can't decide what I should do. 6 months, 5k, 10k, 25k (yikes). The bottle says its good for 25k, but I dont know if I want to wait that long.

Any opinions? I'm thinking filter at 5k, and oil at 10k. I just dont want to cause any damage to my well running truck.

Thanks.

Back