• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change Question

Rossi6998

Reaction score
City, State
Whittier, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I was reading in the owners manual for the 2020 Explorer ST (3.0 Liter) that Ford recommends Motorcraft 5W-30 Synthetic Blend oil. Just curious if anyone is using or planning on using Motorcraft 5W-30 full synthetic or 5W-30 Mobil One Synthetic?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m planning on using 5W-30 Mobil1 when the time comes.

According to Mobil, you can use 0W-30 wherever 5W-30 is recommended. I did that with my Flex through the 100,000 mile mark (0W-20 in place of 5W-20 recommended) and had no issues. Don’t think I’ll do that with the ST. Leaning toward the Truck & SUV 5W-30 formulation.

I am not sure yet. I may go Valvoline synthetic 5w30. I run Valvoline synth in my Powerstroke and it is one of the better oils. I know Mobil 1 is a very good oil as well.

Also with the 1st 3 services for free with the vehicle purchase, I am not sure if I will do that ir start doing them myself from the beginning.

Ps, be sure to use a quality oil filter

I am planning on using Mobil 1 5W-30. Being in Florida I don't need the colder aspect of the 0-30. I used the Mobile1 5W-30 in my Mustang GT Coyote for years with good success.

One of the big things to help long life on these ecoboost engines is to install a catch can (oil separator) in the PCV return line so you don't get coking on the back of the inlet valves with the direct fuel injection and turbo.

Have a few cases of Mobil 1 5w30 and some Motocraft filter elements already. I’m not a big fan of waiting until the service reminder or the published maint schedule, I’d rather change the oil a bit soon than a bit late. Planning on my first oil change at 3k miles. (Edit, just for the first change)

I’m a big fan of Mobil 1, not saying it’s the best, but it’s very good and can be found at the local Costco for a good price. Also can’t go wrong with the OEM filters.

Have a few cases of Mobil 1 5w30 and some Motocraft filter elements already. I’m not a big fan of waiting until the service reminder or the published maint schedule, I’d rather change the oil a bit soon than a bit late. Planning on my first oil change at 3k miles.

I’m a big fan of Mobil 1, not saying it’s the best, but it’s very good and can be found at the local Costco for a good price. Also can’t go wrong with the OEM filters.

Wont get into another oil debate but even at 10k intervals, there was plenty of protection left based on oil analysis. Everyone will do what they want or comfortable with. But with good oil and a good filter, no reason to change before it tells you to unless you just want to.

Wont get into another oil debate but even at 10k intervals, there was plenty of protection left based on oil analysis. Everyone will do what they want or comfortable with. But with good oil and a good filter, no reason to change before it tells you to unless you just want to.

I would agree with that, but the old school in me says change the break in oil.

I would agree with that, but the old school in me says change the break in oil.

I'm going to go 5k and change it. I'm already halfway there. After that, will follow the monitor but I do want to get a catch can for this one.

Have a few cases of Mobil 1 5w30 and some Motocraft filter elements already. I’m not a big fan of waiting until the service reminder or the published maint schedule, I’d rather change the oil a bit soon than a bit late. Planning on my first oil change at 3k miles.

For the Mustang I had been using a special Purolator filter for synthetic oil blends that was a better filtration. What is the consensus of opinion on oil filters with Mobil 1? I figured if I was spending $100 on oil changes $5 more for a better filter was trivial. Having been a designer of turbine engines for many many years I always am a big fan of good filters!

What's the point of good oil if you dont filter it well. I use Mobil 1 and sometimes Bosch.

Although they have improved, I run away from fram. Something about a $2 filter really bothers me.

I'll also add that many oil filters are made from the same company but rebranded (to ones specs). Always make sure you get one with a check valve so oil does not drain out.

If Mobil 1 made a filter for the 3L EB, I would use it, but last I checked they did not.

I also avoid Fram and don’t mind spending a few more $ for quality filters or oil. I drive too much and want to give everything the best chance at a long life.

3L EB, OEM filter part number is FL-2062

Edit, found some other filters that are a substitute for the FL-2062;
Amsoil;
AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters

Wix;
http://www.wixfilters.com/assets/TechBulletins/WIX/WL10050 -English.pdf

K&N;
https://www.knfilters.com/oil-filters/ps-7037-oil-filter

Purolator;
https://www.amazon.com/Purolator-L38154-Red-Single-Filter/dp/B06Y176HJ3

I am planning on using Mobil 1 5W-30. Being in Florida I don't need the colder aspect of the 0-30. I used the Mobile1 5W-30 in my Mustang GT Coyote for years with good success.

One of the big things to help long life on these ecoboost engines is to install a catch can (oil separator) in the PCV return line so you don't get coking on the back of the inlet valves with the direct fuel injection and turbo.

Could you expand on the separator recommendation? Is it a local parts house item, Ford exclusive? Simple install?

Could you expand on the separator recommendation? Is it a local parts house item, Ford exclusive? Simple install?

Lots of aftermarket company's make them, simply place the catch can between the PCV valve and vacuum line, easy install.

Thanks folks, I'll add it to my 2020 ST list

I got hold of a Mobil1 tech and they have PN for a Mobil1 oil filter for us. “Your 2020 Explorer with the 3.0L V6 engine will use Mobil 1 oil filter M1C-351A.”

I have a tech guy at JLT that is going to yell when they have an oil separator that is designed for our ST’s. I used one for my Mustang. The reason you should have one is that with direct fuel injection you are not scrubbing the back of the inlet valve and a turbo just aggravates the issue. You tend to get sludge buildup over time on the back of the inlet valves that reduces flow area and adds turbulence and losses around the valve. You can find articles that are not parts sponsored talking about this. I will post PN here when I get it from JKT.

I got hold of a Mobil1 tech and they have PN for a Mobil1 oil filter for us. “Your 2020 Explorer with the 3.0L V6 engine will use Mobil 1 oil filter M1C-351A.”

I have a tech guy at JLT that is going to yell when they have an oil separator that is designed for our ST’s. I used one for my Mustang. The reason you should have one is that with direct fuel injection you are not scrubbing the back of the inlet valve and a turbo just aggravates the issue. You tend to get sludge buildup over time on the back of the inlet valves that reduces flow area and adds turbulence and losses around the valve. You can find articles that are not parts sponsored talking about this. I will post PN here when I get it from JKT.
The Motorcraft filter is right up there as far as best filters go according to several articles I've seen. The Best Oil Filters For Your Car (Buying Guide) 2019

Peter

You cant go wrong with MC either. They are made by Purolator to Fords spec.

I thought the new(er) ford engines had port injection as well as direct injection in order to eliminate (substantially reduce?) coking. If so, is there still a need for catch cans?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought the new(er) ford engines had port injection as well as direct injection in order to eliminate (substantially reduce?) coking. If so, is there still a need for catch cans?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Back