Oil changes, the mechanic "recommendations" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil changes, the mechanic "recommendations"

Fenuxx

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2000 Explorer Sport, 4.0L OHV which just rolled over 144K miles.

I recently took it in for my 2nd oil change of the year (6 month-ish intervals) and was given a "recommendation" by the mechanic that serviced my truck that just really didn't sit too well with me, and I wanted some other opinions.

I use Amsoil. The SAE, 5W-30 premium stuff. It's rated for 15,000 miles, or 1 year for "heavy" service (which my use lines up with). I typically get my oil changed twice per year, at around the 12,000 mile mark. This is how I've always done it since I got it, and I've used Amsoil in it ever since I got it. If it's important, when I got it, it had about 90,000 old lady miles on it (it was originally purchased, cash, by an old lady who seemingly took good care of it).

The mechanic told me, that even though I use this oil, as well as Amsoil's 25,000 mile EA oil filter, I should be changing the oil every 5,000 miles tops, and should be changing the oil filter in between oil changes.

Now, that just doesn't sit right with me. Is he full of it? Just trying to make more money off me (even though they don't make squat, since they charge me $15 for the oil change, since I bring my own oil and filter). He even went so far as to tell me my oil from the change was "filthy", although in the past, I've been told how clean the oil has been.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

follow the oil manufacturer's guidelines

I would trust the guidelines published by Amsoil for their oil and filters instead of some mechanic of unknown qualifications and experience who wants to grow his business. I suspect that most of your mileage is accumulated on the highway which is better for oil than stop and go city driving. Unless you tow something, drive very aggressively or off road I see no reason to deviate from Amsoil's guidelines. You could probably save some money by having the oil analyzed after your regular 12K mile oil change to determine if the change interval can be safely extended.

I installed an Amsoil bypass oil filter and change my oil and main filter once a year and the bypass filter every two years but I only drive my Sport 3K miles per year.

Yeah, I'd say about 70% of my driving is all highway, and due to the hours I work, I can usually set cruise control the whole way home. No towing or off roading for me, everything is strictly city/highway.

I definitely thought it was odd, but he seemed to think that the engine's age and mileage necessitated such a frequent oil change even though I'm using some of the best oil I can buy.

I would never let any oil go more then 5k PERIOD. I tried Amsoil in my Nissan Maxima, sent it to black stone labs for a sampling at the mid way point (filter change) and was advised to dump the oil. I had more wear show up at 7k with Amsoil then I ever had with Castrol GTX.

That was the only time in my 33 years of vehicle ownership I ever used anything other then Castrol GTX in any vehicle I've ever owned. With the exception of my bike which gets Rotella T.

I used the exact same oil on the same engine with a Bosch filter changed at 12k. Sent a sample to black stone and it had plenty of life left. I no longer run amsoil because I don't drive the explorer much. The mechanic is prob old school. Lots of people don't believe you can go that long.

Also mine does lots of towing, offroading, and just plain gets beat on. :D

To be exactly sure about the oil life, send the sample to black stone. If you get good result back, no argue anymore.

Check out "Bob is the Oil Guy" forum if you have not already, for all you ever would want to know about engine oil and oil change intervals.

I would recommend every 3000miles OR LESS.

I change the oil on my vehicals every 1500 to 2000 miles.
(now, its easy for me, im in the shop everyday).

I change trans fluid every 10000 miles, diffs and transfer case.
once a year.

I recommend syn. in very cold temps. as it tends to hold its viscosity
in colder temps, then conventional oil.

but, I will tell you that......MOST OF THE BRAND NAME CONVENTIONAL
OILS OUT THERE, ARE 75% to 95% synthetic anyway.

basically....you get what you pay for.

if you think you are doing the right thing by buying the higher mileage oil.
you will eventually suffer the concequences. this is on the basis of what I
have seen and been through, and my experience.

:salute:

Back