oil cooler leak where it mounts to block - 97 AWD Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oil cooler leak where it mounts to block - 97 AWD Explorer

Ozz1967

Reaction score
City, State
St. Cloud, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Hey all. I have a 97 Ex AWD 5.0 that is leaking oil from the oil cooler fitting above the oil filter. All my research points to an o-ring but I can't seem to find one without buying the entire oil cooler assembly. Does anyone know what exact o-ring I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this device which will fix the leak. 99-01 v8 explorers use this to fix the leaking oil cooler. all you need is a 99-01 lower radiator hose.
I am trying to recoup some $$ from my recent engine swap, so for 35.00 shipped it is yours.

Send me a PM if you are interested.

002_zpsb0793cf6.jpg

What is this ? What does it do?

that takes place of a leaky oil cooler which will continue to leak until replaced.

Link to what I found worked for my '97 Mountaineer 5.0 L

If you’re gonna go through the hassle of changing the o-ring, just go with the new oil filter adapter. That cooler sucks and is pointless.

Not only does the 96-97 oil cooler suck, it does not cool oil very well, but it is also a good spot for you to get water in your engine when it fails.
I always remove them and run the 98-01 style oil filter adapter and lower radiator hose like posted above.
Ford did away with the cooler in 98 and you should too!!

Not only does the 96-97 oil cooler suck, it does not cool oil very well, but it is also a good spot for you to get water in your engine when it fails.
I always remove them and run the 98-01 style oil filter adapter and lower radiator hose like posted above.
Ford did away with the cooler in 98 and you should too!!
Is the 98-01 oil cooler a drop in replacement with no other parts required?

You need a lower radiator hose from a later model. It’s one piece, as opposed to the two piece that feeds the cooler.

Back