• Register Today It's free!

oil cooler leak

spacecowboy

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Allen, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Limited
does anyone have any info or diagrams on the 1999 engine oil cooler? I think mine might be leaking - thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your explorer does not have an oil cooler.
It has a tranny cooler infront of the AC condneser and a power steering fluid cooler under the vehicle.

If it is a v-8, it has an oil cooler, the oil filter mounts to it.
Is this where you have a leak?

If so, there is an o ring, between the oil cooler, adapter, and the cooler mount, on the engine block. It may be leaking

then I am wrong.

life goes on...

Oil Cooler

Removal

1. Remove the fan shroud. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-03».

2. Drain the engine cooling system. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-03».

µ 3. Remove the oil filter (6731).

4. Disconnect the lower radiator hose from the oil cooler (6A642).

µ 5. Remove the bolt and the O-ring.

µ 6. Remove the oil cooler and the O-ring.

µ 7. Disconnect the oil cooler from the water inlet hose.

8. Clean and inspect the surfaces of the cylinder block (6010) and the oil cooler.

Installation

µ 1. Connect the oil cooler to the water inlet hose.

µ 2. Position the oil cooler O-ring and install the oil cooler.

µ 3. CAUTION:
Be sure to position the O-ring into the groove on the oil cooler. Failure to properly position the O-ring may crush the O-ring and cause an engine oil leak. Coat the O-ring with petroleum jelly to hold the O-ring in place during oil cooler bolt installation.

Install the bolt and O-ring.

µ 4. Tighten the bolt.

5. Connect the lower radiator hose (8286) to the oil cooler.

µ 6. Install the oil bypass filter (6714).

l Coat oil filter gasket with Motorcraft Super Premium 5W-30 Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP or equivalent meeting Ford specifications WSS-M2C153-G and API Certification Mark.

7. Fill the engine cooling system. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-03».

8. Install the fan shroud. For additional information, refer to «Section 303-03».

µ 9. Start the engine and run for two minutes. Stop the engine and allow the oil to drain back into the pan. Check the oil level and add as required. The oil level should read between the MIN and MAX lines.

l Use clean engine oil meeting Ford specifications WSS-M2C153-G.

Thanks Kevin for reminding me to post this--:thumbsup:

I have a picture of the disassembled one-but it will not let me copy--hmmm

Attachments

• oil cooler 1.JPG
    oil cooler 1.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,109
  • oil cooler 2.JPG
    oil cooler 2.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 627

thanks for the oil cooler info

I will have to check to see if I have the cooler - my Limited is a 6-popper but it has the towing package and I am pretty sure it has an oil cooler - where do you get those repair instructions? - ALLDATA has no info re oil coolers - I am still suspicious that when I performed the camshaft tensioner lower intake manifold gasket recall procedure, which includes putting a flow restrictor into the oil galley, this problem immediately occurred - that leads me to suspect that the flow restrictor caused the discharge of oil - but from where? - this is a real mystery

Back