Oil Drain Plug Location on a 98 X 4.0, V6? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Drain Plug Location on a 98 X 4.0, V6?

tsuter01

Reaction score
City, State
lafayette, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Probably a very silly question, but this is the first time I'm changing the oil on my X and I can't find the drain plug. I thought it would be at the lowest point of the oil pan, however the hexagonal bolt that's at the lowest point of the oil pan is referred to the as the "Kickdown linkage" by the Chilton manual that I'm looking at.

The Chilton manual states the oil drain plug should be around the same area as the Kickdown linkage, but I can't find it. Anyone know where the oil plug is located on a 98 X 4.0, V6? Is it a rubber or metallic plug?

I don't have a 4.0 but on my 5.0 the oil drain plug is located on the right side of the oil pan just at the oil pump pick up hump.
Ther is not a kick down in this area what so ever. It sounds like the Chiltons manual is talking about the oil dip stick tube.
In my opinion Chiltons and Haynes manuals are only usefaul as a coaster.

Crawl under the X behind the front pass. tire. The drain plug will be on that side of the pan. Hopefully these pics will help. It's the nut circled in red.

234682_28_full.jpg

234682_29_full.jpg

Rob

Very helpful pics, thanks a lot!

Back