• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Oil Drain Plug Mod!! (pics)

shortstack

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 4.0L
So i hated changing the oil on the X cause the oil drain plug was facing towards the passenger side tire so decided to do a little mod.

The X's drain plug is 14mm x 1.5 so i got a 14mm x 1.5 to 1/2" pipe thread adapter like this one http://www.boschhydraulic.com/id/647 . got a 1/2" 90 degree elbow and vavle and a 45 degree and a plug all in 1/2". I used thread sealant to make sure no leaks, it took some time to figure how everything goes but put it all together and no leaks here are some pics

vztyxs.jpg

2127dio.jpg

ad2pu.jpg

2vccmro.jpg

214a62c.jpg

i'll try and get better pics under the X later

the reason i have the valve is so when i go to change it i can take the plug out with out it getting my hand all oily, then i just open the valve when ready to drain it. you also need the plug just in case the valve comes open

NOTE: i would sucks the little bit of oil out before putting the adapter in, less mess and helps it seal better

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Just curious, but what did all the components cost you?

shortstack

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 4.0L
under $40 but thats in alaska, and i didn't go to the cheapest place if you shop around you get get them for $30ish the valve and the adapter were the most

shortstack

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 4.0L
^^^ not too shabby
but i like this set up cause of the bends it has the 90 to face to the rear and then the 45 to face semi-down, last time i tried to order a little adapter they (online stores) wanted $20 just for shipping

their are some other valve you can use that might work better (and smaller) but i decided to use this one

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Ummm..do you realize that since you've got it tied to the frame on one side (fixed location) and that the engine rocks side to side every time you accelerate, sooner or later you're probably going to fatigue either the oil pan or one of your parts and loose all your oil? You would be better off securing it to the motor than to the frame.

shortstack

Reaction score
City, State
Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 4.0L
its "tied" to the hose for precautionary measures just in cause it slips down, it can stay like that but i was afaid when hitting bumps in might move meaning the whole thing being a few inches from the ground

Donner

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Natomas/Irvine
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sp 03 XLT 4x4s, Scion
hmm... this one's like, the oem plug is flat and kept out of the way. the way you have it set up, you're causing flex to occur from the oil pan and all the components used to assemble the drain plug - something will give - and will likely be while the vehicle is in motion. it's best to play it safe...

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Rather than a leak, I would be more concerned with catastrophic failure.

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
nice mod

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.