• Register Today It's free!

Oil Fill Tube Breather?

Sbyrne97

Reaction score
City, State
Mason Neck, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Mountaineer
So this may be a dumb question. But I know alot of the older engines had breathers on the valve covers to allow the oil to breathe.

I was just wondering If it might be a good idea to plug a small breather from autozone or whatever into the fill neck tube of my 5.0

I just noticed that 98-01 5.0's have a tube attached to the Air Intake that I think goes to the fill neck tube. Is this for breathing?

Couldn't hurt right? as Long as i get the right size breather for the diameter for the fill neck tube?

Sorry I know this has been talked about on the 4.0 side of things but I have never seen a 96-97 5.0 talk about a mod like this

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So this may be a dumb question. But I know alot of the older engines had breathers on the valve covers to allow the oil to breathe.

I was just wondering If it might be a good idea to plug a small breather from autozone or whatever into the fill neck tube of my 5.0

I just noticed that 98-01 5.0's have a tube attached to the Air Intake that I think goes to the fill neck tube. Is this for breathing?

Couldn't hurt right? as Long as i get the right size breather for the diameter for the fill neck tube?

Sorry I know this has been talked about on the 4.0 side of things but I have never seen a 96-97 5.0 talk about a mod like this

yes im pretty sure that tube from the intake tube to the oil fill-up is a breather. i got a volant cold air intake, and i plugged the hole on the intake tube and bought a little filer and put it on the oil fill-up neck. plus i heard oil can go through that tube into your intake. si i would just plug the hole on the intake, and put a little filter on the oil neck.

Search the archives. Topic comes up often. General consensus is NOT to use a filter, but to keep the tube intact with the 5.0. I can't remember why, but I followed the advice.

maybe its different for the 5.0. i have the 4.0l ohv.

if NO is the consensus then ill listen to it thanks for all the help

unmetered air

The hose connected from the intake tube to the valve cover provides metered (measured by the MAF sensor) air to the crankcase for positive crankcase ventilation. It flows thru the crankcase, thru the PCV valve and into the intake manifold. When the hose is eliminated and a breather is added then a small amount of unmetered air is introduced into the combustion chamber. This initially will lean the fuel mixture but when the PCM is in closed loop the O2 sensors will allow the PCM to adjust the fuel mixture to compensate. It will not be compensated for when the PCM is in open loop.

So to specify, the following breather tubes on Jakee and my truck's are bad?

Jakee
attachment.php

Mine
2agqkk9.jpg

Original poster specifically asked for advice on the 5.0.

Breather & boost

So to specify, the following breather tubes on Jakee and my truck's are bad? . . .

I'm not familiar with the PCV complications resulting from boosting an engine. In Jakee's case the breather may be a vent (outlet) when boost is present and an inlet when there is no boost. In any case, a custom tune has been implemented to adjust the fuel mixture for the configuration.

In your normally aspirated engine the vacuum from the intake manifold is pulling air into the engine (to ventilate the crankcase) that has not been measured by the MAF sensor. The leaning effect is maximum at idle when the vacuum is greatest and the engine main intake airflow is minimum. As I previously posted, when the PCM is in closed loop the O2 sensors will report the lean condition to the PCM and it will compensate. In open loop such as WOT, the PCM uses predetermined tables to establish the air/fuel ratio. In your case the mixture would be leaner than planned by Ford if you had the stock tune. If your Bamachips tune was done after the breather was installed then it may compensate for the configuration.

On my SOHC, I run the breather/filter.

I have no issues with it. I get over 30 MPG and make over 210 RWHP.

Custom tunes

On my SOHC, I run the breather/filter.

I have no issues with it. I get over 30 MPG and make over 210 RWHP.

Since you generate your own custom tunes you probably compensated for it years ago.

Back