Oil & Filter Choice?

Puckrobber

Reaction score
City, State
Tri-Cities, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer E.B.
Hello Explorers!

Had a question about your oil & filter preferences. I'm a forum member of the "Bob Is The Oil Guy" forum, and have learned a lot on particular oils, filters, etc. Just wondered what oils and filters you folks use in your 4.0 and 4.6 liter engines? Just bought my 4.0 Expo before Xmas (167,200 miles). Currently has Valvoline 5W-30 and an unknown filter in and on. Just bought Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30 and a FRAM Tough Guard to go next oil change.

What's your choice, fellow Fordies?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any name brand full synthetic that’s on sale(often Mobile One, or Pennzoil Platinum. Filters are WIX or Motorcraft.

Motorcraft and Motorcraft. Usually get a $10 rebate when purchased together.

Motorcraft everything. Walmart seems to have the best price on these.

Big fan of ford filters. I usually order a six pack along with a rock auto order. Same price as 1 from the local stealership. That and what ever full synthetic is on sale, usually napa brand. I avoid high mileage oils. These things need the journals as clean as posible to feed the tensioner as fast as posible so I stick to a synthetic.

I use whatever conventional oil and filter is on sale at the big "O's", and change it once every year or 500 miles, which ever comes first, usually the year rolls around first, LOL.

Motorcraft or Wix, last time I used a fram oil filter I had a drop in oil pressure.

Motorcraft oil (synthetic blend) and Motorcraft filter from Walmart. I’ve been using 5w30 in the 4.6 rather than 5w20 printed on fill cap

Motorcraft/Motorcraft.

Leave the "orange" filters on the shelf. From what I've seen they are the worst filters on the market.

The high mileage oil is actually good for these cars as it keeps the oil seals pliable. It's also been suggested than running high mileage from new will keep your seals lasting many years.

Die hard Mobile 1 fan here. Usually its Mobil 1 oil & filter on sale BUT the Purolator Boss, Napa Platinum, and K&N are some of the best filters going. Rarely do those go on sale with Mobile 1. Typically do 10k oil changes. For me that's about once a year during the summer.

For my V6 Explorer, I've been using the Mobil 1 full synthetic high mileage and a Motorcraft filter.

For my Mustang GT, I've always used Motorcraft synthetic blend and Motorcraft filter.

The filter is the same between the two vehicles, so that's kinda helpful.

Any specific reason for the blend?

Any specific reason for the blend?

For me, using the synthetic blend in my Mustang GT is simply because that's what it's always had. I bought that car new, and from day 1 I've used the Motorcraft synth blend per the manual. It's worked for me so "why upset the apple cart", ya know? Not sure why I won't move up to full synth on that given it's mileage, but again, I don't really have any good reason to move from the blend.

For my Explorer I use the full synth because I don't know what it's previous history is. I bought the truck used and just started using the full synthetic once I took ownership.

Back