• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Mudstang9443

Reaction score
City, State
Nesconset, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
When I start my truck (96 explorer xlt with the 4.0) it leaks oil like crazy. I went to tighten the oil filter and it was tight but the filter and the bracket that it gets screwed onto moved. It seems like the bolt that hold the bracket on might be loose? Mind you it's 6 degrees out and with the windchill it's -11 so i can't really get under there and play around with it to figure out what it is. Has this happened to anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

swshawaii

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
See Similar Threads on the bottom of this page, or search "oil filter adapter leak" in this stock 95-01 sub forum.

Mr. Alligator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
Oil filter leak?

Could it be that when oil was changed, old gasket stuck to surface, so that now you have double gaskets and a big leak?

Just a possibility. This would be an easy fix... Just take off the filter, and one of the gaskets.

Good luck!

Mr. Alligator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Explorer
Just a thought

Anyway, the first time I had a gasket stuck to the surface, it seemed to me that the bracket was the problem. And it pumped oil all over the place. I really thought the bracket was loose, but the play was caused by the double gasket. Big mess, but easy fix.

Good luck!

Mudstang9443

Reaction score
City, State
Nesconset, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
Anyway, the first time I had a gasket stuck to the surface, it seemed to me that the bracket was the problem. And it pumped oil all over the place. I really thought the bracket was loose, but the play was caused by the double gasket. Big mess, but easy fix.

Good luck!

I just got under there and to take a better look and when I grabbed the oil filter to move it around I also saw the bracket moving with it. So it isn't a double gasket like I was hoping. Any tips on how to fix this? I really don't want to have to bring it to the mechanic