Oil Filter Question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Filter Question.

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
So today I went to change the oil in my X, everything went well, I successfully drained the old oil but when I went to remove the filter I found it to be on there surprisingly tight. No way I could have removed it by hand, so I just added the new oil but left the old filter on so I could drive home. Later I bought an oil filter wrench to remove it. My question is: If I remove the old filter to add the new one will all the oil leak out? Or just the oil in the filter itself? I know the new oil is tainted by the dirty filter now but I have to use the new oil for at least 500 miles before I can buy new one. I was just wondering if I could swap the filters without draining all the oil itself. Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The oil level is waaay below the oil filter. It "sits" at 1/3 of the height of oil pan.
You will loose just the oil that is in the filter.

So today I went to change the oil in my X, everything went well, I successfully drained the old oil but when I went to remove the filter I found it to be on there surprisingly tight. No way I could have removed it by hand, so I just added the new oil but left the old filter on so I could drive home. Later I bought an oil filter wrench to remove it. My question is: If I remove the old filter to add the new one will all the oil leak out? Or just the oil in the filter itself? I know the new oil is tainted by the dirty filter now but I have to use the new oil for at least 500 miles before I can buy new one. I was just wondering if I could swap the filters without draining all the oil itself. Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Here's a little tip for you. Take the filter wrench and just loosten the filter. Take a punch,chisel,screwdriver, or something sharp that you can hit with a hammer, and punch a hole in the bottom of the filter. Let as much oil as possible drain out before you remove the filter. There will be much less mess this way. Has anyone seen the Filter Glove that is shown in this months Hemmings Muscle Machines magazine? I have not been able to find one around Omaha yet.

The Parker filter glove? They're cool...

CLICK ME

Was the super-tight filter put on by a quick lube place? Whenever I've removed one of their filters, I've always struggled. It seems their techs are too dumb to know what "contact + 3/4 turn" means and they just tighten the hell out of it.

But no, like others have said, you won't lose much oil- basically the little bit that's in the oil passageways that lead into the oil filter.

I always use this:

POJ_577-3006.jpg

Was the super-tight filter put on by a quick lube place? Whenever I've removed one of their filters, I've always struggled. It seems their techs are too dumb to know what "contact + 3/4 turn" means and they just tighten the hell out of it.

But no, like others have said, you won't lose much oil- basically the little bit that's in the oil passageways that lead into the oil filter.
Believe me, the filter gets tighter over time due to heat and the rubber gasket.

Yea on a stuck filter sometimes the best remedy is either a filter socket or large pair of channel-locks, pipe wrench or just stab it with 2 screwdrivers and turn em using the screwdrivers

Back