• Register Today It's free!

Oil Filter

chetzar

Reaction score
City, State
B-Town, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Green Explorer XLT
Who ever designed and thought it would be a good idea to put the Oil Filter on explorers where it is, needs to be kicked in the balls and fired.
My friend and I did his oil filter and oil in like 10 mins on his 97 GMC Jimmy, however my 93 Explorer took for ####ing ever just to get the oil filter off.
1. The filter wrench wouldnt work as there is not sufficent room to get the filter in there let alone ever hope of clamping it down and turning it.
2. The screwdriver idea from haynes manual = worst idea ever (if you dont know it says to puncture the filter with a screwdriver and turn it, just rips the filter open)
3. On a Lift, jackstands, the ground or with Tom Cruise holding it above the ground using his levitation powers, the filter is a ***** to get off and resulted in a punctured filter that was bent in from being taken off with big ass plyers.

Granted i'm not a mechanic, but i'm also not a retard, this filter location blows more than Micheal Jackson around little boys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dunno what your talking about. My 91 is simply with a oil filter socket and so was my 97.

Dunno what your talking about. My 91 is simply with a oil filter socket and so was my 97.
The only part about that is finding a filter socket of that size. I wasn't able to find one, so I'm in the same boat as the OP.

Mehedgec I got mine off, but it was a PITA, I used plyers to twist it off and once you get it loose enough you can use your hands. From now on I will prolly be buying a K&N simply because it can be put on with a simple socket wrench.

EDIT: By pliers i mean big ass channel locks, I was just drawing a blank when I typed it earlier.

boy your not kidding

with exactly the right tools it is a piece of cake. That filter was on there man. I had to poke around three or four different holes in it. Oh I wont forget that oil filter. Just go buy the proper wrench for the future

brute hand strength. i get Fram filters for the coating they have, almost like rhino liner, i don't put it on real tight, but it's sealed. it takes about a minute or two of just brute strength but it comes off. takes a while to get used to

I've always thought the explorer was pretty easy...

take the filter on an early 90's accord and tell me the explorer is hard. On those accords it's right above the exhaust pipe and some other stuff. Gotta contort your wrist in weird ways. Getting oil on the exhaust is a given.

I've always thought the explorer was pretty easy...

Ditto, it's an FL 1A, the most common Ford filter ever. Any flexible filter wrench will work, which is my only filter wrench. I thought that this was about the 302 Explorers.

Try a late 80's Land Cruiser, there's a piece of ****, the truck and the filter. Regards,

I like the first gen explorer filter location. I just crawl under the truck, grab the filter with both hands and it comes off. Once in a while I use a filter socket but normally I don't.. With the truck lifted I don't even jack it up..

I also like that its verticle so I can fill it before installing it..

~Mark

oh, try the 90's aerostar, right above the starter. Needless to say, three starters in two years. and the fill tube is right about the alternator. Good idea making the top of oil cartoons fat, instead of the old schooll skinny design

The explorer is nothing compared to a 4-runner :eek:

Try it on my '97 Cougar 4.6 and see how you like it.

Back