• Register Today It's free!

oil filter

polcat1p

Reaction score
City, State
ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ranger 4x4
just went to napa to get oil and a filter, and i asked the guy what filter do i need. he said i dont know, there are standard and metric threads. is this true? i have a 01, and its a gen 1. anyone have this problem before. also should i switch to synthetic oil?> it has 160k on it
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2001 Job 1's use the standard thread, FL1A. 2001 Job 2's thru 2005 use the metric thread, FL820S.

Napa's numbers will be 1515 (51515 Wix) for the Job 1 and 1372 (51372 Wix) for the others.

Check out the FAQ's in the sticky posts above. If you have a 2001 there are a lot of differences in the Job 1/Job 2 models that you'll need to know about.

Look at what filter is on it now and have the store cross-reference it.

FYI, Gen 1 and Job 1 are two different things. Gen 1 Tracs are 2001-2005 models. Job 1 Tracs are the first few months of production of 2001 models. Some parts were different. Late 2001 Tracs and all 2002-2005 Tracs are Job 2's, although from 2002 up it doesn't really matter.

Gen 2 Tracs are 2007-2010 models. There was no 2006 Sport Trac.

Synthetic oil won't hurt it but with 160k you won't get much benefit either. In your case I would use Valvoline Max Life 5w-30, it is a synthetic blend, change it every 5000 miles, and you'll be good.

If the guy said "i don't know" to me i probably would have had to bite my tongue and just walk out. They at least have a way to look it up. I constantly get crap service and wrong parts from my local place so its given me a pretty low tolerance for some people.

As for the synthetic oil, i myself run Valvoline Synthetic every 5000 miles or so. I like to think it helps since i rebuilt my motor two years ago. If nothing else at least you can run about twice as long on it.

Well there are very few real Parts Technicians this day and time. The chain stores, NAPA included, have made parts salespersons of many a burger-flipper. Not to offend anyone but nowadays if it isn't on that monitor screen you just can't get it ..... and then it's not right half the time. But considering a large percentage of people attempting to do their on repairs/maintenance have no clue as to what they're working on or what the part they need is called it kind of evens out I guess!

And FWIW, I am qualified to make those statements!

Exactly. Me and my dad call them waffle house rejects. We usually end up going to the one in the next town where most of the employees are women who actually know what they are talking about.

I know a couple very qualified female Parts Techs ......... I trained them !:D

thanks guys. I got the 1515, which is the right one. also changed the air filter. is it bad or good to switch to synthetic oil at my miles?

FYI, NAPA has full synthetic oil @ $3.49 qt. this month. (Valvoline SynPower)

OCI, and the price.

Back