• Register Today It's free!

Oil filters

Digitalgp

Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘15 XLT
What is the correct oil filter for the 4.0 sohc? Ive been told both the FL-1A and the FL820s (or aftermarket equivalents) for my ‘07 ex. I’ve had both on my engine and don’t notice any difference. Any opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The FL820S fits the 4.0 and the 4.6. My 1984 F150 uses the FL1A.

The FL820S fits the 4.0 and the 4.6. My 1984 F150 uses the FL1A.

I think that was also the filter I used on a 302 I had swapped into a 1983 mustang and my 1985 300 I6 f-150

Make sure to use the correct one, as the threads are not the same. One is metric, and the other is SAE.

What is the correct oil filter for the 4.0 sohc? Ive been told both the FL-1A and the FL820s (or aftermarket equivalents) for my ‘07 ex. I’ve had both on my engine and don’t notice any difference. Any opinions?
Those don't interchange, as said the threads differ.

The early 4.0 SOHC's took an FL1A filter, the block oil filter adapter used typical old SAE threads. Later in the 2000 range Ford changed the block oil filter adapter, and from then on they should all take the FL820S filter. You can swap the adapter to use the SAE thread, and a common FL1A, or a few other larger filters common to use for gaining fluid capacity.

Maybe I’m wrong about it being the FL1A filter. I know the FL820s is a short and wide filter and that’s the one I thought was correct for my application, But apparently theres another filter that is slightly longer and narrower that threads into the FL820s place. That’s the issue I’m having. Places telling me the FL820s style filter is wrong and they alternatively put this other filter on.

Oh well, the warmer weather is here and I can go back to doing my own oil changes again.

Places telling you it’s wrong are places I’d never spend my money on. They are incorrect, period. Your filter should be the FL820s.
A98C5E71-F709-4C8C-8B83-92B5D0EE5206.jpeg

From your 2007 manual.

Ditto, they did away with the SAE threads and the FL1A years before 2007. I'm not familiar with other filters which may also mount in place. But either stick with the FL820S, or find out what larger filters may fit also, and have the right anti-drain back valve, plus filter rating(15 microns etc).

Filters very a bunch, so don't use anything not recommended unless you research it well first.

820S is the correct filter

The FL820s is the correct filter for your application.

Older 4.0's did use a FL-1A (at least my '97 Explorer did), but that is a standard thread filter.

I'm guessing what you are running into is how some places, namely quick lube places, use an FL-500s where an FL-820s is specified. The FL-500s is smaller, but uses the same thread on the oil filter boss. Quick lube places especially do this to minimize the number of filters they need to carry in stock. (I ran into this when I bout my previous truck and wondered what the heck this tiny filter was I was removing...)

Does the FL500s fit? Does it generally work? It fits, but beyond that... If it were me, I'd stick to the FL820s.

The FL820S is a small filter. I've wanted to swap a larger one for it for years. But that's not easy to do like the more common FL1A.

The FL820s is the correct filter for your application.

Older 4.0's did use a FL-1A (at least my '97 Explorer did), but that is a standard thread filter.

I'm guessing what you are running into is how some places, namely quick lube places, use an FL-500s where an FL-820s is specified. The FL-500s is smaller, but uses the same thread on the oil filter boss. Quick lube places especially do this to minimize the number of filters they need to carry in stock. (I ran into this when I bout my previous truck and wondered what the heck this tiny filter was I was removing...)

Does the FL500s fit? Does it generally work? It fits, but beyond that... If it were me, I'd stick to the FL820s.

That must be it.... the FL500 (or aftermarket equivalent). According to what I've read on Bobistheoilguy it does thread into place of the FL820s, however it has a slightly lower flow rate and lower by-pass rate. Lesson learned

Back