Oil Found In Air Filter | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Found In Air Filter

Hey Guys,

Our 2011 Explorer 3.5 has oil in the intake tube, a good amount.
Found it when I was checking air filter, anyone else have this?

Truck is sitting at dealership as the Active Park assist wont work, they replaced all sensors and a steering rack, still cant figure it out.

Its the 4th trip into the dealer for the park assist, getting old quick lol

The first time I tried the APA on mine I got an error message on the MFT screen saying there was a fault. Turned out I had a bad front right sensor which they replaced and all has been good since.
Here is what Ford said about the oil in the intake tube issue.
Ford advised: replacing the valve cover to incorporate the latest design of the vent tube which now has an internal baffle to prevent oil from migrating all the way up to the air intake tube and to the throttle body.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oil in the intake is a sure sign of overfilling with oil. If the oil is too high in the crank case, oil will get kicked up into the PCV valve/tube and get sucked into the intake because of the vacuum created. Check you oil level. Just a 1/2 quart over will cause this!

Had this issue a month the ago.. Ford replaced the driver's side valve cover as Peter had posted. No tsb on it but Ford hotline instructs the tech to do it when they call up.

Hey Guys,

Our 2011 Explorer 3.5 has oil in the intake tube, a good amount.
Found it when I was checking air filter, anyone else have this?

Truck is sitting at dealership as the Active Park assist wont work, they replaced all sensors and a steering rack, still cant figure it out.

Its the 4th trip into the dealer for the park assist, getting old quick lol

Hi s_vares,

Do you have any update on your Explorer? Let me know what you hear from your dealership.

Crystal

Here is my situation...going to call dealer today to arrange a fix for this. This pic is of the outlet of the air filter box.
image_zps06121672.jpg

Here's the inlet piping
image_zps9f794543.jpg

And a oily air filter element
image_zpsb514ad52.jpg

Exactly what mine looked like. No tsb but Ford hotline will tell them to replace with updated valve cover.

same problem here, same solution: the dealer changed the front valve cover under warranty.

Had the exact same thing on mine, the pcv had disconnected. It was difficult to start and would not idle. Main difference is mine is a 4.0 SOHC.

Oil blow by?

I just changed the oil & filter (switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic) and air filter in my wife's 2012 Limited Edition Explorer. As I removed the elbow prior to the air cleaner box, there was oil dripping out of it. I wiped it out & will keep an eye on it. Anyone else heard of this problem? I really don't want to take it back to the dealer. :(

I just changed the oil & filter (switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic) and air filter in my wife's 2012 Limited Edition Explorer. As I removed the elbow prior to the air cleaner box, there was oil dripping out of it. I wiped it out & will keep an eye on it. Anyone else heard of this problem? I really don't want to take it back to the dealer. :(
Yes there is a thread on this. Did a quick search and will move your post to it.

Peter

Air breather tube

I have a 2011 ford explorer 4wd xlt. I had my oil and air filter changed at a local shop and the mechanic warned me that when he changed my air filter he found oil in my air flow tube. He wasn't super concerned but suggested I check my oil level over the next week or so and make sure I wasn't losing any oil. Is this a major problem? Also, he informed me that some sort of air scoop that attached to the bottom of my engine near the oil pan or where the oil drain is was missing. He seemed to think it was some sort of air scoop that helped cool the engine. Is this correct???

I have a 2011 ford explorer 4wd xlt. I had my oil and air filter changed at a local shop and the mechanic warned me that when he changed my air filter he found oil in my air flow tube. He wasn't super concerned but suggested I check my oil level over the next week or so and make sure I wasn't losing any oil. Is this a major problem? Also, he informed me that some sort of air scoop that attached to the bottom of my engine near the oil pan or where the oil drain is was missing. He seemed to think it was some sort of air scoop that helped cool the engine. Is this correct???

I think you might be confusing what he was trying to report back to you.

There is an air intake scoop on the bottom of the engine that scoops air up and throws it onto the Power Transfer Unit when you order the Tow Package on Base, XLT, Limited, and Sport.

I know the Sport and Interceptor Utility have liquid cooled PTU's but I just checked my Sport and it also has the air intake scoop.

Dont confuse that with the air intake for the engine where the air filter is located on the drivers side top area of the engine compartment.

Welcome to the Forum kelso bear.:wavey:
As mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread with this one. See post 21 in this thread for the answer to the problem. It is obvious your local shop isn't aware of this. Take it to your dealer.

Peter

Oil in filter box

I've read on different forums that many dealerships don't know why this is happening.

I went to Campbell Ford here in Ottawa today for my oil change and they discovered it. Told me it's a know issue and they have to replace the valve cover. It's done under warranty.

Just though I would throw it out there in case someone came across this problem.

P.S. Now I'm sure I failed at my search and there is already a thread about this, I apologise in advance to the moderators lol

Cheers

I've read on different forums that many dealerships don't know why this is happening.

I went to Campbell Ford here in Ottawa today for my oil change and they discovered it. Told me it's a know issue and they have to replace the valve cover. It's done under warranty.

Just though I would throw it out there in case someone came across this problem.

P.S. Now I'm sure I failed at my search and there is already a thread about this, I apologise in advance to the moderators lol

Cheers
Yes you did and yes there is. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Yes you did and yes there is. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Sorry Peter !

Without search fails like me, your job as a moderator would be way too boring lol

I just discovered the same thing. I'm going to the dealer on Friday for some other issues and will have it fixed.

I just discovered the same thing. I'm going to the dealer on Friday for some other issues and will have it fixed.

Good idea, jrmexplorer; be sure to let us know how your trip to the dealer goes. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OIL in air intake hose

Went to go change my air cleaner and clean throttle body to find the hose that connects the air box to the throttle body had a large amount of oil in the hose. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Back