Oil gauge help please. What is normal ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil gauge help please. What is normal ?

drdoug

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT. Stock.
Hello,
Lately within the last week my oil gauge is in this position whereas the needle normally hovers near the tip of the spout of the oil can icon. My cam position sensor is acting up with the crickets chirping and there is a new “lifter” rattle on startup. I read somewhere here the cam sensor had something to do with the oil circulation maybe ? 1995 XLT with 201k. Just curious where other people’s needles sit. Thanks.

45171133-0D9C-4A08-9A51-1E977FC26182.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cam synchronizer gear drives it on the 5.0, I assume it does on the 4.0 as well. I’d replace it ASAP. The gauge isn’t really an analog gauge, it’s a glorified light. If you have a nominal oil pressure (something low, like 5 psi) the gauge should read normal. If it truly read pressure it’d read higher when cold, and fluctuate with RPM.

I'd be very concerned, with the low oil pressure reading and lifter noise, that your oil pump is shot.

It's true that the cam drives the cam synchronizer, which in turn drives the oil pump, but a chirping synchronizer shouldn't be having any effect on the oil pump unless the roll pin has sheared.

As far as the gauge... It's also true that it's more of a glorified idiot light. At 5 PSI of oil pressure, or more, the needle should be in the center of the gauge whenever the engine is running. It's odd that your needle isn't showing dead-low right now, but the fact that you're also hearing lifter noise is an indication of no oil pressure. I would stop driving the truck and replace the oil pump. It may may, or may not, be too late to save your bearings.

You could start by removing the cam synchronizer to check the roll pin isn't broken, but reinstalling it isn't so easy. You also have to be careful not to pull the rod out of the oil pump. If the gear is okay then your oil pump is worn out and if you're lucky you can get away with just replacing the pump. If you're not lucky you're looking at an engine rebuild, which probably isn't worn it on a 23+ year old vehicle, but that's up to you.

The only way to know for sure is to get an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge and install into oil gallery port, then read the actual oil pressure, it will tell you alot!

Hello,
Just curious where other people’s needles sit. Thanks.
View attachment 163613

Just re-checked - so here's the edit:

The needle lies over the area where the Oil Can Handle attaches to the Oil Can Body.

My OHV has 209,000 Miles

The only way to know for sure is to get an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gauge and install into oil gallery port, then read the actual oil pressure, it will tell you alot!

If the OP is experiencing reported low pressure and is having lifter noise I'd say that's pretty convincing evidence that his oil pressure is low/non-existent, but yeah he could install a real oil pressure gauge and see what it says. My money's on bad news.

Thanks for all you replies. I will give an update when I can.

Back