• Register Today It's free!

oil gushing out

The_Phoenix

Reaction score
City, State
maricopa, az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer xlt
Ok guys in back for some more advice in need of your guys brains and skills, I just got my motor back together after putting the heads on new oil pump everything except for Rotating assembly. Fired it up runs like a top but when I shut her down she dumps oil literally, replaced rear main and its still there, dumbfounded need help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yeah it mainly comes from passenger side torx bolt area, I've checked valve covers, oil filter, oil filter housing, only thing I can think of was my oil pan gasket is leaking Any thoughts appreciated

When you say gushing out, do you mean like it is under pressure or just that after you turn it off you end up with a big arse puddle underneath?

In reality though, your probably going to need to clean the motor off again, then start it, then shut it off and then watch where it is coming from. I know the fan can make a mess of it (blowing oil) so you "might" even have to resort to using dye to find where it is coming from but normally you can do it without that...

And.. at the moment, I can't think of any place on the passenger side that it could be coming from (that you didn't mention).. The only other place would be the timing cover but I wouldn't have expected you to change the rear main if it was coming from the front side.

~Mark

Well the motor is clean its freshly painted kinda clean, I just think its very odd that I only get the leak when I turn it off doesnt leak when running except for runoff from before. It has no pressure behind it, it didn't matter if it ran for two hours our five seconds

I'm suspecting oil pan gasket cause the old gasket had a rubber ridge that sat inside the pan the new gasket did not, it was a metal fel pro

Maybe I can be of some help..

I changed oil pans when i did my build to get away from the captured style gasket. The captured gasket is the rubber O-ring looking thing that sits in a groove in the pan. However, there is also a flat metal gasket available, but it shouldn't be listed for our first gen explorers. I believe they started using the flat metal gasket in 98?? Up to the 2010 4.0 sohc engines.

If you want to use the flat metal gasket, the aftermarket dorman pan has no ridge for the captured gasket, and is compatible with the more modern gasket. This is the route that I went.

Good luck!

Benjam :D

Yea the flat one is for the sohc pan not ohv pan..both pans will fit either block tho..

Huh interesting, Well I've looked at it I think I'm gonna give it a try again also there is these two tab looking things that look like they go around the rear main housing, there is a plastic long clip in there the book says to pop it out with a pick or something but I was scared it was gonna break so I snipped them off and siliconed it like it was on the old gasket, just want to make sure I have that right

Hey guys just need to know if the way I did the gasket before was right and I just goofed on installing it need some advice

The half-moon shaped piece of plastic has two rectangular ears on the end, these slide into slots in the main bearing cap IIRC. Dont cut the ends off, try to work all of the old plastic out. Use a small pick if you need to dig the pieces out from the bearing cap. I think you are supposed to dab some silicone on the tabs when you reinstall? Not sure, it's been a while since I dug into my 4.0.

Benjam :D

Thanks I'll give it a try

Back