• Register Today It's free!

Oil in the intake Help!

AMMO_HOOAH

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT
So the title says it all. I was getting a sticky throttle on the way home today, and when I pulled the intake off of the throttle body there is a fair amount of standing oil in the grooves of the rubber accordion thing. I put it back on and pulled the hose from the oil filler to the intake, and ran the truck. It is putting out about as much pressure as canned air (if you can picture that). Of course as it's putting out so much oil is misting with it. Someone please help here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump before work.

i take it you are getting the oil from your newly oiled air filter??? so you need to run a lite degreaser in the tube after it is pulled off and wipe it clean...try compressed air with removed filter to blow out the excess oil...does this help??? you are also going to have to clean your air sensors in the intake or you will be idling rough...

i take it you are getting the oil from your newly oiled air filter??? so you need to run a lite degreaser in the tube after it is pulled off and wipe it clean...try compressed air with removed filter to blow out the excess oil...does this help??? you are also going to have to clean your air sensors in the intake or you will be idling rough...

Nope it's not from the air filter. It's coming from the hose the leads to the oil filler neck (wish I knew what to call it).

i'm not totally sure of your setup but i believe its the oil breather hose???i'm hoping someone else would chime in here...

Excess blow-by from the oil filler neck indicates that you may have a bad cylinder. Check each cylinder for compression.

^^^what he said^^^ thats why i was hesitant to reply...i'm hoping that is not the case...

I think you just found your misfire--unfortunately--
Broken ring or hole in #8 piston--
you might check the #8 injector real good before using it in the rebuild--

jtt can you enlighten us how you know its #8cyl??

I see nothing in this thread about what he found? Maybe I am blind?

jtt can you enlighten us how you know its #8cyl??

I see nothing in this thread about what he found? Maybe I am blind?

See what that woman has done to you? You''ve fallen behind---:p:

I wouldnt have it any other way
Sacrifice the crap outta my signle lifestyle for this woman :)

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still hoping it's not rings, but it's not looking good. I'm going to try changing the PCV, and running seafoam through everything. Hopefully it's just a plugged PCV causing the over pressure, but I'm going to grab a compression gauge, and fuel pressure gauge while I'm there. Cross your fingers guys I really don't want to have to rebuild. :(

...fingers crossed...btw, i would not seafoam until i had the problem 100% resolved...don't add anything more to the equation...

I think we have a problem

I picked up a compression gauge today and here are the dismal results of that check:

#1 - 120#
#2 - 70#
#3 - 120#
#4 - 60#
#5 - 125#
#6 - 115#
#7 - 100#
#8 - 70#

Check your #8 rockers/springs/valves before you completely tear-down. If the valves are not closing all the way it would cause this problem. If you're having an issue with the #8 compression, it will also effect #4. Or vice versa.

i dont know if you know this but its suposed to be like 175 across the board.

Compression ratio 8.5:1

Atmospheric Pressure in Fort Walton Beach Florida = 14.7 psi

8.5 x 14.7 = 124.95 psi (not taking temp rise into consideration).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back