Oil leak from the oil pressure sending unit on my 98 SOHC. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak from the oil pressure sending unit on my 98 SOHC.

miceanic

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
My 1998 SOHC Explorer seems to have a slight oil leak and i think i have found the source. problem is that it seems to be coming from a plastic thing sticking out the drivers side of the engine. I looked through the site and found no posts about it. i have some pictures of it and its location. the pics are looking through the drivers fender well. anybody know what this thing is and what it does?? any help would be much appreciated
IMG_2375.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome doesnt look too good

Well since Sams01XplrSprt was most helpful, I went out and looked at my engine block -- its the oil pressure switch/sender.

f1804.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG1352.JPG
    CIMG1352.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 47,166

thx

thanks for the fast reply IZwack. i'll go ahead and replace it today seems i'm replacing the oil anyway. ;)

Well since Sams01XplrSprt was most helpful, I went out and looked at my engine block -- its the oil pressure switch/sender.

LMAO!

How do you replace this? Do I have to change the oil at the same time or anything?

Clean first, then replace

How do you replace this? Do I have to change the oil at the same time or anything?

If it was me, I would spray it first with degreaser and then hose it off and dry it before disconnecting the electrical connector. Since the switch is above the oil level in the pan, oil should not run out when you unscrew the switch. There's no need to change the oil after changing the switch as long as nothing falls in the hole when its out.

Back