Oil leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak

S

shaggsta

My X has developed an oil leak which I suspect to be the rear main. It is leaking from the area above the oil filter but lightly rear (definitly not oil filter) the leak is a steady 1-2 drip /seconds with the engine on. I am monitoring continuosly while driving to ensure oil level remains adequate. Is this likely the rear main? If so how long does it take to fix (myself... done a fair bit of work, never this though) and are there any special tools required? Is there any way to 'Patch' it far a little while as I don't have time to fix right now...

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the dripping goes away when the truck is shut off its definitely the rear main.

In the books thats like an 11 hour job, and probably 5$ in parts...

You have to drop the tranmission, driveshaft and half the exhaust(transfer case and front driveshaft if your truck is 4x4). Also need to take the flywheel off(a lot more work if your truck is 5 speed). If your truck is auto you should look into replacing the flywheel spacer while youre down there, They wear also. Mine was only $30 from the dealership with some other part I didnt use and thats Canadian price. If your truck is at stock height or you dont have a hoist, dont bother trying yourself.

I've got that leak myself.....but it doesn't drip that fast and it leaks somewhat when not running....i'm thinking that its my pan gasket

It doesn't actually leak that badly so i just add oil regularly

I don't think i'll look into it unless i have to drop the tranny for some reason i'll look into it then...or when i get another vehicle so i can rip into it and not have to hurry to get it done

What if, and it's a big what if...what if I can loosen the engine mounts, lift the engine slightly forward and up and disconnect at the bell housing, would this give enough room to work in? Also is it really not possible to do with jackstands?

Thats even more work than removing the transmission. Theres a lot of lines, linkages and wires that would have to come off to move the engine ahead at all. Even if you did the fan would hit the rad, then you'd have to take one of those off.

If your exhaust isnt brand new, or youre just lucky and hasnt rusted(yeah right), you'll probably end up buying a new system. Or atleast getting your cat. re-flanged.

It would be easier to drop the transmission than to move everything forward. I was in the same situation..."but what if I did this". Don't bother. Just drop the transmission.

Also, you'll need a lot of clearance to get the transmission out from under the truck, and more than a floor jack to move it. When I did it, lining it back up wasnt easy with a transmission jack, so I wouldn't bother trying with just a floor jack or something.

Take it to a high school and give them something to do. Theres nothing really hard, its just a lot of work.

But if you do decide to do it yourself...you'll need a huge extension or a lot of little ones to get to the top bolts on the transmission...

but remember...

....PUT THE TORQUE CONVERTER IN ALL THE WAY!

...one more :)...

...change the front seal in the transmission while its out. These have a tendency to fail also, so change it and buy yourself some time while you can.

One more thing if you do this yourself...

Loctite all the bolts so nothing comes loose. my rear driveshaft came loose and I almost had to buy a new one :)

Could it be the valve cover gaskets? These also have a history of leaking.

Back