• Register Today It's free!

Oil Leak

92explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Hey guys, I noticed my 92 xlt was leaking some oil from the rear main seal area, so I took it to a local shop for diagnosis and they confirmed that it was leaking oil from the rear main seal. They said my best bet would be to put an oil leak additive in it to try and stop the leak. They recommended an oil leak additive by the name of Gunk that comes in a yellow bottle. Has anyone ever used this stuff and if so, did it work? Or would you recommend something else? Thanks a lot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the rear seal?! Not a chance. It's not like it is a gasket clamped between 2 pieces of metal. There is a shaft going through it. And I know, I've tried the stop-leak ... when I was hoping that it was the oil pan gasket and not the rear main seal. As expected, the stop leak did nothing. $800 for Ford to replace the seal. Might be able to find someone else to do it for less. They gotta pull the tranny.

Thanks for the reply. $800! I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Like I said, get someone else to check it out. I was told it was the oil pan gasket, and had to pull the engine. Ford said $485 to do the gasket. When I brought it to them they said it *was* the rear seal, and it was $700-$800. Again, I think another shop that knows what they are doing could do it for less. But, if you are luckier than I am, then the oil is not dripping down onto the cats and burning off, causing a good bit of smoke and a ripe smell.

If yours just leave a spot on the garage, and given it's age, then I'd say you're right, just leave it alone (although it's probably gonna get worse).

Thanks for your input. I think I'll just try the stop-leak and if it doesn't work then I'll leave it at that. I don't really want to put that much money into it.

mine too. A local place to me told me that for $325 they would replace the rear main seal on a 4WD explorer. Called them twice with a 2 week separation between calls.

Call around unless you just like forking out that much money.

The seal isnt that hard to replace just some work. I have i a seal if you wanna purchase it. Edit: Better make sure its the seal though. Thats a lot of work just to find out its the back of your valve cover or oil press switch of something like that. Goodluck

I just replaced mine and the hardest part was taking out the tranny and the seal took only about. Plus you could replace the front seal on the tranny at the same time.
It would take a good day and a half to complete and the parts would be under $30.00 plus tranny fluid if you drain it.

I would go that route and think of it as you saved yourself $500.00.

I wish I had been up for doing a project like that. I did manage to replace the tcase myself though.

i was told by a ford mechanic that the oil stop leak is only a temp fix and could cause blockage in oil passages that are already clogged on higher milage vehicles. he said between 350-500 for him to fix it in my 91 automatic (trucks not even worth that much), but told me not to waste my money because it isn't a serious problem and actually quite common on the 4.0. a manual trans on the other hand may have problems with oil leaking into the bellhousing and causing the clutch disc to slip

I would not use a stop leak additive, but try using Valvoline Maxlife oil. Stuff has additives that work and would be a lot better than normal "motor honey" type stuff which is like 200 weight oil :confused: Baaaaaad stuff.

Back