• Register Today It's free!

OIL LEAK

walt

Reaction score
City, State
southcentral pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I bought my '97 xlt a year ago and switched to 5w30 synthetic. A couple of months later I noticed a small oil leak coming from the front of the engine somewhere. Over time its gotten steadily worse although it still only amounts to a few small drops daily. I went back to a regular 10w 30 oil hoping that would help.
My mechanic said he replaced the two nuts holding the timing chain housing as it appeared they were leaking. But it is still leaking from somewhere.
Does anyone know whether the explorer is prone to leak in a certain spot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the board Walt!!

I'm having the same problem with my '01. It's been back to the dealer once under warranty, and they replaced the two washers under the bolts holding down the timing cover, but it's still leaking. It appears that the oil is coming out of the left bolt, but I have to get under there and clean it off to find the exact spot. Once I've got it narrowed down it goes back to the dealer again. I'll let you know how it goes

I guess I can sympathize! But at least yours is covered under warranty. What I suggest you do is ask them to run some plorescent fluid into the engine. After awhile they can take a special light that will illuminate where the fluid is leaking.

I'm probabaly gonna have to resort to this. Winter is upon us and I don't want drops of oil on my garage floor when I park inside. It's my suspicions that my bolts are not leaking, but probably the gasket to the timing gear housing is. Thanks for taking the time responding.

Are you sure it isn't the gear lube out the front pinion seal? My front pinion seal flings oil up all around the end of my differential. It then runs off there, leaving a black spot or two on my floor every week or two. I haven't seen any oil leaks coming from my engine.

I'm pretty sure mine's coming from front of the motor. I cleaned the bottom of the motor (and axles, as I had just changed the gear lube) off, and it is back in the same spot. I don't see anywhere where my pinion seal is flinging lube around. Ford already replaced the teflon washers under the bolt heads in the front bottom of the pan once, stating that the ones installed had been deformed (from factory). I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't my front seal leaking a little. I have to thoroughly clean around the seal and take a closer look. The way the '01 is set up, its a mother to see up in there without removing a couple of parts. I have to give the undercarriage a pressure wash to remove all the Paragon mud :D this week, so maybe I'll be able to track it a little better once that is done.

Back