Oil leaks come in may forms, here's mine lol | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil leaks come in may forms, here's mine lol

diesel_s

Reaction score
City, State
Buford, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 ST Limited
So i noticed on thursday evening after i moved my truck in the driveway that there was an oil spot, not big at all.... but noticeable. I went under my truck only to find out that apparently my motor has no oil pan gasket whatsoever, that was disturbing, so I took so gasket maker and put on in there.... problem solved right? Not at all... I move it friday morning to leave for class and notice another small oil spot and to make it worse, i sprung another coolant leak same day. So today, sunday the 19th of September 2010, I decided that I will tackle this task, first order of business, locate that damn coolant leak and I did, the thermostat housing was leaking all because of one piece that somehow was no longer attached to the lower part of the housing, I decided I would be creative and JB Weld it back to the plastic and make sure that it stays in place, it is currently setting now..and will overnight before i put it back together...

I then noticed on my spark plug wires that there was oil on the right side, second order of business, get all of the crap out of my way so i can remove my valve cover. I take it off and I find that whatever jackass it was that owned this motor before me did not properly secure the gasket to the valve cover. The screws are made with a portion that goes over the valve gasket to secure it to the cover, in my case, even-though the opening to which the last two screws not being properly fitted into the gasket was small, it was still producing an oil leak....I secured the screws, and noticed that apparently under my care, my engine was a HELL of alot cleaner than expected lol.
IMG_0816.jpg
IMG_0794.jpg
IMG_0807.jpg
IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg

Nice! Make sure you get some pics up of the intake on once you get it all back together. White on White'll be sweet!

Installed the intake manifold this morning :)

IMG_0821.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

Back