"Oil Life" as reported in Ford Pass does not match vehicle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Oil Life" as reported in Ford Pass does not match vehicle

0tt0

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer
I recently had 10k service at the dealer with an oil change.
The Oil Change warning was cleared, and checking through the menus in the instrument cluster show "Oil Life" indicating 99%.
However, the Ford Pass app (and at owner.ford.com) the "Oil Life" shows 17%.
What's strange is everything else updates fine in Ford Pass.. mileage, fuel level, location, etc.
Just the "Oil Life" is reporting incorrectly.

Anyone else have the issue or have any idea what is causing it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar issue at 96% oil life the dash display showed 0% and FordPass was still at 96%. I reset it and now at 1500 miles I'm at 90% on both the FordPass app and the dash display. The problem seems to be cleared up but continue to keep an eye on it for sure!

Thanks, will try resetting again. When you reset it, you just went through the menus using the steering wheel buttons & instrument cluster display right?

Thanks, will try resetting again. When you reset it, you just went through the menus using the steering wheel buttons & instrument cluster display right?
Yes that is all I did and nothing on the app which was always correct.

The Oil Change warning was cleared, and checking through the menus in the instrument cluster show "Oil Life" indicating 99%.
What's strange is everything else updates fine in Ford Pass.. mileage, fuel level, location, etc.

Since you have 10,000 miles on yours and I only have 1,500, how has your longer ownership experience been so far? As you can see many owners here have had various problems on their 2020 Explorers and many at low miles like me. I have had nothing so far that required service at the dealership. The tow hook and deflector were missing on mine and have been ordered at the dealership.

Since you have 10,000 miles on yours and I only have 1,500, how has your longer ownership experience been so far? As you can see many owners here have had various problems on their 2020 Explorers and many at low miles like me. I have had nothing so far that required service at the dealership. The tow hook and deflector were missing on mine and have been ordered at the dealership.
Was your fuel filler funnel there?

Peter

I had a major transmission issue at 1200 miles.
We started hearing some clicking/whining when accelerating, even very lightly. It started to get worse and I noticed some fluid under the car which appeared to me as transmission fluid. Took it in to dealer immediately.
The connection on one of the hoses that carries fluid to the transmission cracked. Not the hose but the actual connection point (that's what I was told). Under pressure it must have cracked. I don't drive it that hard and wasn't towing anything so this leads me to believe it's either a design flaw or a manufacturing defect.

Ford HQ got involved as well according to the dealer. Luckily there no damage or any sign of premature wear on the transmission. It was all taken care of and I haven't had an issue since.

Having the exact same problem. Mine has not updated since before I bought the car in 2020. It still shows 16% life and not reset since 2019 (before I got the car). I keep calling and they still cannot fix it. Today it showed the correct info for about 1/2 a second. When I scrolled to the oil life it already went back to 16%.. Arghhhhh.... BTW: I have a Mustang....

Having the exact same problem. Mine has not updated since before I bought the car in 2020. It still shows 16% life and not reset since 2019 (before I got the car). I keep calling and they still cannot fix it. Today it showed the correct info for about 1/2 a second. When I scrolled to the oil life it already went back to 16%.. Arghhhhh.... BTW: I have a Mustang....
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
A convertible no less.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
A convertible no less.

Peter
I am working with Fordpass, but they are dragging their feet. They want to troubleshoot again. I said no more... we keep doing this and it's not working. Why keep doing the same thing?

I am working with Fordpass, but they are dragging their feet. They want to troubleshoot again. I said no more... we keep doing this and it's not working. Why keep doing the same thing?
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Ford Pass? I had to do that quite a while ago and it cleared up the issue that I was having.

Its been 2 years. Do you trust "intelligent oil life monitor" Mine shows i need to change around 10250m. Now i am at 6250. When do you suggest to change first oil ?

Its been 2 years. Do you trust "intelligent oil life monitor" Mine shows i need to change around 10250m. Now i am at 6250. When do you suggest to change first oil ?
If it was me I would do it now. First oil change it's better to do it early.

The manual states not to exceed 1 year or 10,000 miles for an oil change. I would do it much sooner. This being your first change, I agree with Dale and would do it now.

Peter

Back