Oil pan bolt housing cap broken off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil pan bolt housing cap broken off

Xylene

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT V8
Explorer 1998 5.0l - The backend of one of the bolt housings from my oil pan to engine block has broken off. I don't know what it is called, but if the bolt were to be removed oil from the block could escape. I took a couple of photos of what I am talking about. In one of the photos you can see daylight through backside of the bolt housing. It is like an endcap that has broken off. Can this be fixed? Can I put a dab of silicon in the hole to seal it up before putting the bolt back. I am looking for suggestions.

20210904_210438.jpg
20210904_210414.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It appears there may be a rear passage to the bolt. Feel if the hole goes al the way through. If it does , get some pb blaster and direct the spray nozzle into the hole if you can. wd40 wont cut it, you need a good rust killer

Then while it is working in, acquire a "left hand" or "reverse rotation" drill bit. Use a punch to create a nice divot in the center of the bolt. Hopefully if everything goes right, the drill bit will grab the bolt and back it out of the hole. the combination of heat from friction, and the counterclockwise forces really do work well together. Give it a go.

I’d use a centering punch if trying the left hand bit. If the punch is offset you lose a lot of force.

There is not a broken off bolt in that bolt hole. I think there are a few holes into the block like that, I know there are on transmissions and transfer cases. My Atlas II has two or three open bolt holes. A little RTV on the end of the bolt and threads is all that is needed. Not a big deal at all.

Use RTV, you'll be fine

I apologize for my poor description. There is not a broken bolt in the hole, the back end of the hole (it use to have a round cap on it) has broken off. I found it in the bottom of the oil pan. I thought about using RTV as a way to seal the hole, but i didn't know if this might cause any issues down the road, or if there is a better way to resolve the issue.

Sounds like you're describing what was once a blind bolt hole that has been punched through or had the rear portion cracked off, now making it a thru-hole. I think if you use a good thread sealant when reassembling you may be OK. Permatex makes good sealant, we use it at my shop, just brush it on like anti-seize and carefully tighten it. Teflon tape may work in an emergency.

Back