Oil pan drain plug size 4.0L 94 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil pan drain plug size 4.0L 94 XLT

BobB

Reaction score
City, State
Seymour, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
94 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L SOHC. Finally have the time, the place, and the ambition to do an oil change but can't figure out the size wrench/socket I need for the dang drain plug...Carparts.com shows a an oil plug "M14-1.50", which I'm thinking is 14mm by 1.5 cm in length. Would appreciate any expertise you can provide me with so I can get this oil change done. Thanks!

Bob,

13mm or 1/2" on my 91 so I would assume its the same. If you speaking of the size of the wrench needed to fit the bolt.
Also, beware generally that bolts can have different shaped and sized heads for the same dia, length, and thread pitch bolts, so knowing the dia wont tell you the wrench size- its independant of the bolt itself.

The 94's have an 4.0 OHV rather than the SOHC that engine wasnt avail until the late models came out.

Have fun.

SteveB: Thanks...after reading about the other fellow who stripped his out, I was well on my way. Almost to the proverbial "Brute force and ignorance will always overcome fear and good common sense..." As a rookie Explorer owner (repairer?) it never hurts to hear and learn from those who have gone on before!

Back