• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pan Gasket Leak - 4.0 OHV 4WD

norm209326

Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
This problem is on a 1999 Explorer Sport 4.0 Turbo OHV 4WD with 183xxx on the clock. Last oil change had 5-20 put in. After having the truck sit for a while (about 2-3 months), I fired it up and immediately got an oil leak. It was dripping off my front diff. I needed the truck because I had to drive from New York to Rhode Island (about 160 miles). Every 35-40 miles or so, my oil pressure gauge would start flicking up and down (signaling it was low) so I would pull over and add about 2/3 of a quart of 10-30. I stopped about 4 times during the trip to add oil. When I got to Rhode Island, I drove around a bit here and noticed that I was no longer losing any oil but I wanted to check ont he leak anyway. I followed the leak up the diff, to the engine, and found it dripping from the 3 oil pan bolts just forward of the starter. I noticed dampness on the head above it, but not a noticeable leak so I have diagnosed it as a bad oil pan gasket. My original plan was to clean up the area and slap some RTV or JB weld on it, until I had an opportunity to pull the front suspension and replace the gasket the right way. Well I cleaned up the area and put a little baby powder on it (to see if any more oil leaks out). I also tried the obvious, making sure the oil pan bolts were snug. I managed to turn them MAYBE 1/8-1/4 of a turn. Anyway, I figured Id fire it up to see if the leak came back.. Nothing. I drove around for a half hour and got it nice and hot but still, bone dry.

I assume what happened is that the thinner oil all leaked out and the slightly thicker oil cant get through the leak? Is this possible. Normally, I run 20-50 in the truck (I know, its thick but I work for Porsche and its what we use in most of the cars so Im used to it.)

Does this make sense to anyone? I cant see that the 1/4 turn would solve the leak, but in conjunction with thicker oil..... maybe.

Id like some input please.

It sounds more like you are leaking from your oil pressure sending unit.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234466

Check this thread for pictures and stuff.

JB weld or RTV isn't going to do anything about your leak if it is a pan gasket. You don't have to remove your suspension to get it off, but you aren't going to get your pan out of there with it where it is at right now. You will want to unbolt your motor mounts and raise the engine slightly, then you can get the pan out of there and replace the gasket.

But again, if you were losing oil that quickly, it is coming from somewhere you have pressure. Your pan gasket sits above the oil level in your pan, so it should only seep out anyway.

20w50 is WAY too thick of oil for an Explorer's engine. Oil weight is based on internal engine tolerances and normal engine operating conditions. Ford recommends 5w30 for the 4.0, but if your engine is turbocharged, you may want to increase that to 10w30 to prevent blow-by at the higher temps.

Back