• Register Today It's free!

oil pan gasket(s)?

kyleyz762

Reaction score
City, State
syracuse, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
my truck has about 100,000 miles on it and it was starting to seep engine oil out of the oil pan gasket. so i decided to replace it. i went to napa to find out that there are 2 gaskets. they said there was an upper oil pan gasket and a lower oil pan gasket. ive never heard of anything like this and neither did the guy at napa. i got the one with 10 bolt holes in it becuase i didnt think i could go wrong....got home took my pan off and everything saw a little lining of what looked to be rubber that was sealed onto the pan, so i scraped it off. there were 4 little nubby rubber thingson the new 1 i think that stuck up and made me think it was the wrong one. installed new gasket tightened everything down and b4 i even poured 5 quarts oil was LEAKING! i was really pissed. i tightened the drain plug and everything and found that the gasket was leaking. i just sat there like wtf, and now im here asking for someone to tell me what i did wrong cus i know i must have messsed up big time somwhere along the line, so please tell me the right way to do this and wat i need to use for a gasket. btw, ive researched this till my eyes almost fell out and cant find a single thing. kinda need help asap cus i need to take a trip soon! AHH!

97 xlt v6 sohc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need the lower oil pan gasket.
You probably got an upper one and obviously it doesn't work on the lower oil pan.

If the guy at NAPPA has never heard of upper and lower oil pan gaskets, then he really shouldn't be working at NAPPA.

Why is that? Personally, I think I'm fairly skilled with a lot of different engine architectures, but I sure as hell don't know everything about all of them. Not even close. And neither do you. Cut the poor guy some slack.

gasket

i did buy the lower one and all the bolt holes matchec up perfectly. thats why im posting here cus i dont know whats wrong. i went back another day and a diff. napa guy said the same thing. they let me look on their computers and there are 2 gaskets. i just dont know what to do. should i just use no gaskets and just use RTV

my truck has about 100,000 miles on it and it was starting to seep engine oil out of the oil pan gasket. so i decided to replace it. i went to napa to find out that there are 2 gaskets. they said there was an upper oil pan gasket and a lower oil pan gasket. ive never heard of anything like this and neither did the guy at napa. i got the one with 10 bolt holes in it becuase i didnt think i could go wrong....got home took my pan off and everything saw a little lining of what looked to be rubber that was sealed onto the pan, so i scraped it off. there were 4 little nubby rubber thingson the new 1 i think that stuck up and made me think it was the wrong one. installed new gasket tightened everything down and b4 i even poured 5 quarts oil was LEAKING! i was really pissed. i tightened the drain plug and everything and found that the gasket was leaking. i just sat there like wtf, and now im here asking for someone to tell me what i did wrong cus i know i must have messsed up big time somwhere along the line, so please tell me the right way to do this and wat i need to use for a gasket. btw, ive researched this till my eyes almost fell out and cant find a single thing. kinda need help asap cus i need to take a trip soon! AHH!

97 xlt v6 sohc

Did you make sure that those rubber nubs went through the holes they were supposed to go in? Well wait, I'm guessing here as I have never done a gasket on one of these engines but usually those rubber nubs are a sort of retainer for the gasket and they are pointy and fit into holes on the oil pan right? Did you make sure to pop those nubs in until they were seated? I'm just thinking maybe one of them might be bent sideways and causing the gasket to not seal. Sounds like you got the right gasket cause you definitely have an upper and lower and by the looks of the diagrams of your engine they look completely different from one another.

gasketttt

im just gonabuy a new pan and see if the gasket comes on it already, anybody do this b4?

That shouldn't be necessary. That is a very spendy pan. IIRC on a SOHC, there is a gasket between the pan and the block, (upper) and another gasket between sections of the pan. (lower) Please forgive me as it's been a very long time since I've seen a SOHC. Which gasket to you need? I suspect the upper gasket would require the removal of the engine where the lower might not? Again, I'm just throwing out ideas here because I don't have one in front of me. Or can you provide us with a picture?

Back