• Register Today It's free!

Oil pan seeping

tuthshutr762

Reaction score
City, State
Medford, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT V8
While changing the oil yesterday I ran into a seep along the passenger side of the pan.
1) if all that is needed is a torquing what is the specs on an 02 4.6L?
2) It looks like the pan will drop down if a new gasket is needed. What are some pitfalls you guys have run into when replacing the pan gasket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While changing the oil yesterday I ran into a seep along the passenger side of the pan.
1) if all that is needed is a torquing what is the specs on an 02 4.6L?
2) It looks like the pan will drop down if a new gasket is needed. What are some pitfalls you guys have run into when replacing the pan gasket?

The V-8 'Oil Pan to Engine Block Bolt" torque is as follows per the Haynes Manual. It is a 3 step function:

Step 1: Tighten to 18 inch lbs
Step: 15 inch lbs
Step 3: tighten an additional 60 Degrees

I don't have the V-8 model, but from what I've read in here about the V-8, especially the 2002's, is that there is an "oil filter adapter plate" that leaks quite commonly and the torque for the oil filter adpater bolts are 18 inch lbs. You may want to check the adapter plate for leaks first, before changing out the oil pan gasket. BTW, I am glancing thru the Haynes Manual on the steps to remove the oil pan and it isn't as easy to do if you have a 4 wheel drive model. If you have the V-8 with 4 wheel drive, you need to "disconnect the negative battery terminal", remove the "front axle assembly", then the "front stabilizer bar", the "oil dip stick", and when seperating the oil pan from the block, don't pry it off, use a rubber mallet and a wood block to remove it. You don't want to scratch or damage the sealing surfaces of the oil pan to block or leaks can occur. The manual also says to use a gasket scraper or putty knife to remove the old traces of the old gasket, but do not gouge the oil pan or block. Clean the gasket mating surfaces with lacquer thinner or acetone. This is all from the Haynes Manual and you may want to pick up this manual from a parts store for around $25, because there are some other steps to follow when installing the new gasket. Hope this helps and post up your solution to your leak problem.

Welcome aboard tuthshutr762!! :salute:

In addition to the guidance Exproblems has posted, I have sent a PM containing the Oil Pan Procedure from my shop manuals.

Let me know if there is anything else you need & good luck. :biggthump

I changed my oil filter adapter gasket a few months ago and it was not only a problem, but a bit of a PITA. I have a little seeping from my oil pan as well so please be sure to post back with how it goes for you. My V8 is only 2WD but it still looks like a tight fit to get it out of there. I have to drop my trans pan so I figure I'll do my oil pan while I'm down there.

I changed my oil filter adapter gasket a few months ago and it was not only a problem, but a bit of a PITA. I have a little seeping from my oil pan as well so please be sure to post back with how it goes for you. My V8 is only 2WD but it still looks like a tight fit to get it out of there. I have to drop my trans pan so I figure I'll do my oil pan while I'm down there.

Oil Pan Procedure has just been PM'ed!!

Thanks for all the help. sadly I do have 4X4 or should I say $X$. I am going to take a much closer look at the seep and try to pinpoint it before I go taking the front axel assembly out

I just changed the oil on my 04 EX. Noticed that the oil filter adapter gasket is leaking. Any instruction/tips on how to change it?

I just changed the oil on my 04 EX. Noticed that the oil filter adapter gasket is leaking. Any instruction/tips on how to change it?

I'll check my shop manuals when I get home tonight.

Check your PM. :D:thumbsup:

Hey BigRondo,

2003 Explorer XLT, V6 4.0L, 4x4

I'm looking for the Oil Pan Procedure and oil filter adapter gasket procedure as well. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

I'm looking for the Oil Pan Procedure and oil filter adapter gasket procedure as well. Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

Per Haynes manual, the lower section or oil pan cover(made of sheet metal), can be removed with the engine still in the vehicle. As far as I know, you just have to remove the bolts (Manual shows 10 of them) that hold the oil pan cover in place if you are just looking to change the gasket seal. Don't gouge, dent or scratch up the sealing edge of the oil pan cover when removing the pan or old gasket. Use a rubber mallet or a length of wood and a hammer to break the cover loose from the engine. Lightly tap against the side edge of the pan cover till it comes loose. Don't wedge a screwdriver etc. and pry against the sealing edge of the oil pan.
Note: There is an "upper" oil pan section called the "oil pan assembly" or "reinforcement section" which is made out of an aluminum casting that serves as a structural reinforcement for the lower part of the crankcase. To remove this section(upper) of the oil pan assembly, the motor needs to be removed.
I don't think you need an "oil filter adapter" with the V-6 engine. From what I have read on it, it is a V-8 engine problem where one is needed.

Hey BigRondo,

There is no mention of the oil filter adapter in the shop manuals for the '03 with the V6, so I assume it doesn't have one.

Check your PM, I have sent the Oil Pan Procedure. ;):thumbsup:

I am changing my lower oil pan gasket this weekend. Is there anything special I need to do with the new gasket like use black RTV or does it just go on dry?
'03 V-6 4x4

just did this job this morning on my 4x4. i recently installed an engine from an 04 marquis, using the pan and pickup from the ex. used a brand new pan gasket from felpro (now you know the parameters). all ran fine but noticed when i had it parked in the garage that there was oil kind of coating the back side of the pan and gathering on the bolt heads mainly gravitating toward the passenger side. not sure exactly what the problem was but i installed a new pan gasket and so far, no leaks. i think it's extremely important to follow the torque specs and tightening sequence on this. also as a precaution i used a small bit of rtv on each bolt just in case. this job is kind of a pain on the 4wd as of course you have to remove the front differential to do it. just so happens that i had to do a upper and lower ball joint job as well as front bearing change so i figured...well you get the picture. one point to mention on this is to remove the sway bar to make this job a whole lot easier. you have to loosen it anyways to get to the pan but i have done it both ways and believe me, it's better to remove it. just my .02 cents

also make sure to apply rtv to each side of the block where the rear main seal cover mates to the back of the block. VERY important. also make sure you do the same for where the front timing cover meets up with the block. looking at the felpro gaskets there are multiple webs of rubber where these spots are but i don't think its enough to seal it. i would apply it with my fingers and push it in on those lines where they mate. you don't want to have to tear into this crap again.

Back