• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pan

Argos587

Reaction score
City, State
WYLIE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT V6
I am trying to remove the upper oil pan on 2001 XLT with 4.0 V6 2WD. I have removed the lower pan, all of the perimeter bolts, the 8 bolts that go into the mains, the 2 transmission bolts in the rear, and oil pump screen. The upper pan is very stubborn and solidly attached to the block. Tried prying and wedging a small screw driver, but it does not loosen. Am I missing anything, do the inserts for the 8 main bolts need to be lowered? This is a daily driver and would like some input and advice before I move forward and cause more damage than needed.
If this is covered in another thread, please let me know and I will take a look.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am trying to remove the upper oil pan on 2001 XLT with 4.0 V6 2WD. I have removed the lower pan, all of the perimeter bolts, the 8 bolts that go into the mains, the 2 transmission bolts in the rear, and oil pump screen. The upper pan is very stubborn and solidly attached to the block. Tried prying and wedging a small screw driver, but it does not loosen. Am I missing anything, do the inserts for the 8 main bolts need to be lowered? This is a daily driver and would like some input and advice before I move forward and cause more damage than needed.
If this is covered in another thread, please let me know and I will take a look.

How about the 5 small 10mm bolts/nuts where it attaches to the timing cover? I've had mine off, but with the engine removed from the truck. There are also 2 torx bolts at the rear that come down from the top (maybe they go in from the bottom, I can't remember) one long and one short. Did you remove those?

Note: If you do manage to remove the upper pan there is a very specific way it must be reinstalled, or you can crack it. The pan must be absolutely flush against the transmission and the eight 7/16" allen-head threaded inserts need to be torqued to the crankshaft journals before the bolts are installed and torqued. This is because the upper oil pan (AKA the engine girdle) is a stressed member of the engine.
MgeQ4ya.jpg

Appreciate your advise. I was able to get it off, overlooked the long hex bolt in the rear. All is back together and hopefully no leaks.

Oil pan probably has to bolts at the rear main that needs to co e off

Appreciate your advise. I was able to get it off, overlooked the long hex bolt in the rear. All is back together and hopefully no leaks.
Im about to set off on this journey myself not sure how old this tread is but I have 2004 4.0 sport trac 4WD im hoping the engine doesn’t need to come out. But I see it is almost a 8h job by way of all data. Do I see there’s 8-10 pan bolts two hex bolts at rear main and the two trans bolts.

I was quoted $890 a few weeks ago for my oil pan gasket & rear main seal. Both are leaking.

Back