Oil Pressure Gauge responds instantaneously. Normal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure Gauge responds instantaneously. Normal?

tripplec

Reaction score
City, State
Bowmanville, ON Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer LTD AWD
Hi, I am still new to this 4x4 and after my first long Hwy trip. My son normally drives this since its for him. I notice two of the guages are responding unusually. Primarily the oil pressure gauge.

I turn on the key, Oil pressure is zero, battery gauge up barely 1/4" and start the engine and the oil pressure gauge pops up extreme fast if no hard to the midrange. No gradual climb and never changes while running. Is this normal? The battery settles just below the battery symbol on the backdrop, not quite half way up. There are no graduations on the battery meter so its hard to know. I will verify it later with a volt meter but everything is powered without electrical symptoms. Lights etc.

First highway trip reared 24mpg Highway which seems low. Canadian Gallons!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The oil pressure gauge is not a gauge. Its basically a warning light and will either be zero or halfway.

There is a thread somewhere on changing out the sending unit to get a real gauge.

The oil pressure gauge is not a gauge. Its basically a warning light and will either be zero or halfway.

There is a thread somewhere on changing out the sending unit to get a real gauge.
I see, ok I also have Jeep Grand and it has a gauge. I have seen many gauges over the decade but never on react like this one and could not help wondering why.
Thx

the 1st gens had a working oil pressure gauge....dumb ford.

1st Gen

Yes, I had 1991 4L V6 quite some time back. Proper gauges in them. Got better gas millage as well on the highway. Surprised.

Not true. My 94 Limited had the same thing as my 3rd gen - the gauge runs off of a switch - it shows either "normal" or "none".

Oil Sender?

Sorry my brain turned over a few days ago and I have a question

Has anyone tried installing a oil pressure sender in the block instead of the single output switch. I know that a pressure sender works like a variable resistor and ground to the block to complete the circuit.

However, how does the current gauge respond with a true sender?

Anyone try it and where is the existing switch on the block in a 4 liter?

Sorry my brain turned over a few days ago and I have a question

Has anyone tried installing a oil pressure sender in the block instead of the single output switch. I know that a pressure sender works like a variable resistor and ground to the block to complete the circuit.

However, how does the current gauge respond with a true sender?

Anyone try it and where is the existing switch on the block in a 4 liter?

I remember reading here of at least one person who did it in their first gen V6 Explorer. Do a search in the 1st gen forum, and I'm sure you'll find it.

Oil Pressure Gauge

I remember reading here of at least one person who did it in their first gen V6 Explorer. Do a search in the 1st gen forum, and I'm sure you'll find it.

Ahh I am kinda missing something here. I did have a 91 4dr 4x4 some time ago and it had all real gauges. The Oil pressure etc read true state as it changed with engine speed and temperature. That certainly was the first generation. At some point Ford did not provide it for some reason from what I have read so far. Even so, why not just replace the sensor with a true sender and see what the gauge does. Only issue is thread size and finding a compatible sender to fit the location.

Back