Oil pressure gauge wacky:confused: | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil pressure gauge wacky:confused:

Phat_Bastard

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 LX
Anyone run across a oil pressuse gauge with a mind of its own? I start in the morning and it appears ok, and then it just drops to 0 pressure and then will go back up in pressure. I have the stock gauge in the dash.

I replaced the oil pressure sensor once already and it didnt help, so either i have a defective sensor again or perhaps something else is a little screwy.

When its running normal the gauge sits halfway, but when it acts up it will fluxuate almost constantly between 0 and halfway. I use Exxon Full Sythetic oil I keep the filter and oil relatively fresh. So i don't think its a actual pressure problem, just something to do with gauge i guess.

Anyone got any clues??? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same sort of issue with my 94 xlt. It usually runs about 2/3 way across. A month ago it started running about 1/3 way across thinking the worst, I was preparing to do all sorts of fixes. Suddenly back to the normal spot two weeks ago. Now yesterday it's at 1/3. Go get a new sending unit from Ford; not aftermarked see if that does it; good luck

Tom Kauffman
5/30 Castrol for winter serviced regularly

Sounds like a bad connection as you have replaced the sensor and the connection it's either a broken wire or it's up behind the dash or the gauge is shot. What happens if you earth the sensor lead and switch on? The gauge should go to max and when not connected it should read min. My guess would be it's up behind the dash probably just a loose connection. Drop the dash and try earthing the return and see what you get on the gauge. If is is the gauge save money and go to the scrapyard for one. If memory serves the early x's don't actually read pressure anyway. It's just a comfort gauge. ie: midway is ok min is problem.
PS: just a thought does the check gauge come on? as they both monitor the sensor if it doesn't come on then the gauge has a bad con. I haven't had an x dash off yet but the early brit ford gauges were two bolts trough the plastic circuit board and you just tighten up the two nuts to make a better connection.

Take a look at this thread.... Dead Link Removed

Get an aftermarket pressure gauge

I got an electrical pressure gauge that is wired up to a cigarette lighter plug that I move around to different cars to periodically check oil presure. The wire to the sender easily fits in the fender seam. Just be sure to get a 1/8 to 1/4 inch adaptor. Drive around with that for a week. It's good to get an idea of what your normal presure is. I have a 97 OHV w/125K pressure limits @60# when cold, idle in gear when hot is 20# and highway is a little over 40# with 10W-40. I usually drive cars well over 200K and adjust oil weight up as they get older.

After just reading the post Aldive pointed at I would now change my mind to start with anyway and see if the gallery leading to the sender is clogged.

Ya might wanna check to make sure you don't have an oil pump problem. Maybe the gauge is correct. The older 4.0's had an issue with the pressure spring in the pump breaking and providing erratic oil pressure (that's what killed my in-law's motor in their 91 X). One thing that seems to go with that is noisy lifters because they aren't getting enough oil. I'd do what Opera House suggested. That way you are sure that you have a gauge problem and not a motor problem.

thanks aldive for the very informative thread, i think either i need to go to evelyn woods reading dynamics, or deal with being crosseyed.

Dead Link Removed

get the Ford sensor mine did same thing...aftermarket sensors were crap.

Back