Oil Pressure Gauge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure Gauge

miller1821

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt
I have a '98 Ford Explorer and I am having problems with my oil pressure gauge. When I am idling or going down the highway at normal speed, the oil pressure gauge stays at normal, but when I step on the gas it goes down to low. A friend of mine told me to pull the oil pan and clean the screen and pump. I did that yesterday and changed the oil. It helped but it didn't fix the problem. I have everyone stumped because the screen wasn't even that dirty and as long as you are just driving it does fine but as soon as you step on the gas oil pressure goes doen to low. I need help resolving this problem. No noise from the engine and everything thing seems to sound good too.

Check the pressure sensior in the motor, make sure its clean and is getting/giving the correct voltage.

"major clogs" in the oil ways. Pull a valve cover and take a look at the top side of things to see if any oil ways are clogged. In idle, there is probably "enough" flow thru to keep things "happy" but on "thumps", most of your oil is "living up stairs" causing a "starve" condition at the pump....OR your pump maybe dying... just a thought though.

ps... probably forget this as I didn't see the "normal down the highway" where I would have thought you would see a problem.

Back