• Register Today It's free!

oil pressure problems 5.0

EBEX99

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer 5.0
I was driving my 5.0 today and noticed the oil pressure gauge flicking all over. It ran fine for ten minutes of driving then lost complete oil pressure. What could cause this problem?
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you checked the oil pressure sending unit to see if it is good or plugged in or is cut frayed? I would first be looking at checking or replacing the sending unit.

The oil pressure units are pretty problematic on these trucks. I would do what 96xporler4oh and check out the unit to see if it might have some sludge build up on it. There is a thread here that has info on how to replace the old unit with an updated one that is a lot more accurate.

Where is the sending unit located?

i dont think its an electrical problem because i actually have no oil pressure. I can hear the lifters. i was told to drop the oil pan and see if the oil screen is clogged etc. and he mentioned to change the oil pump while i have the pan off.

If the oil pick up screen is clogged, and not allowing oil to cycle, then I would not be driving it. Next thing you know you have a rod blown out the side of the block. You will need to lift motor up enough to droppwd the pan though.

You should of mentioned that earlier in your post about the lifters tapping. And are you or have you been driving it like this since it started?

Basically if that screen is clogged, then you are starving the engine of oil because it is all sitting in the pan and no way up into engine.

i was actually driving it for the first time for more than five minutes taking it to a friends shop to fab my bumpers. it is not driven daily yet. (under construction) on my way to the shop i noticed the gauge moving around erratically, it wasnt until 5 more minutes of driving is when i heard the ticking.

Back