• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure Switch Part Number#

Afrojoe1449

Reaction score
City, State
Ringgold, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XL 4WD
Okay so I know the location of the oil pressure switch. My current connection is tight at the nipple at least. When the engine is completely warm and at idle I'll get gauge fluctuation from 0 to Good. At 1k rpm or higher the gauge settles at good. This leads me to believe I have a bad sender and I want to replace it. However I've managed to buy the incompatible version of my sensor 3 times now and I'm hoping to get a definitive part number for my X. I've got a FAE F2002 in right now which is the smaller less leak prone (i would guess based on it not being the large plastic bulb glued on) style. I've got a 1998 OHV 4.0. Built 7/98 which leads me to believe I should be using the large plastic bulb style? Can anyone confirm this? I've been buying the "with light" style because I know my X has the dummy on/off gauge which I assumed is what it meant by with light. I'm just looking to get a for sure part number that will work so I can stop installing and uninstalling to find out they don't work properly. I'm fairly certain my pressure is good as everything sounds normal and it's only after a while that the gauge fluctuates. I just want the gauge and light to stay normal so I don't have that worry on the gauges anymore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The parts I'm seeing are 12309858, D2AF9278AA, D4AZ9278A, D5AF9278AA, PS103, W0133-1857813 and "stamped D5AF-AA" which may mean that D5AF9278AA is the last revision of it that Ford produced. Are any of these on your original? I don't have the OHV engine, do not know for a fact that this info is correct.

I can't remember if I got the vehicle with an aftermarket sender on it or if I put an aftermarket on it years ago but the one currently on isn't one of those part numbers. I will look at those and see if I can't get my hands on any locally. The main issue I think I'm coming across is the connector on my current style and stock elbow are larger than the replacements I've tried. But connector size isn't advertised in the description. Just application. Which unfortunately for 1998 seems to be a variety of possibilities due to changes in that year range and the three engine options.

Okay so I know the location of the oil pressure switch. My current connection is tight at the nipple at least. When the engine is completely warm and at idle I'll get gauge fluctuation from 0 to Good. At 1k rpm or higher the gauge settles at good. This leads me to believe I have a bad sender and I want to replace it. However I've managed to buy the incompatible version of my sensor 3 times now and I'm hoping to get a definitive part number for my X. I've got a FAE F2002 in right now which is the smaller less leak prone (i would guess based on it not being the large plastic bulb glued on) style. I've got a 1998 OHV 4.0. Built 7/98 which leads me to believe I should be using the large plastic bulb style? Can anyone confirm this? I've been buying the "with light" style because I know my X has the dummy on/off gauge which I assumed is what it meant by with light. I'm just looking to get a for sure part number that will work so I can stop installing and uninstalling to find out they don't work properly. I'm fairly certain my pressure is good as everything sounds normal and it's only after a while that the gauge fluctuates. I just want the gauge and light to stay normal so I don't have that worry on the gauges anymore.
Can't offer anything on the switch part number, but would suggest that you get a mechanical gauge and measure the actual oil pressure under the same conditions, just to rule out something more serious than a failed switch. If memory serves, you should see at least 5psi at warm idle. Good luck!

There should really only be two switches, not counting revisions which are all of those two choices. The old style was very large and produces a variable signal, thus for a real useful gauge. The smaller versions should all be the ON/OFF style, which are simple for a dummy light or a gauge that only shows two positions(not counting voltage variances that make the gauge move slightly). Most later Fords have that, the gauge shows zero when the pressure is under about 5-7psi, and the same gauge level at all other higher pressures.

Do you know what sensor was on the truck when the gauge was displaying properly? Someone else may have altered the circuit, it is possible to use an old sensor and modify the gauge circuit(adding a resistor to make it use the better variable sensor output). If your truck hasn't been modified, it should take the late small sensor, thus any problem should be the gauge or circuit, besides the new sensor.

Back