• Register Today It's free!

oil pressure

tsiguy91

Reaction score
City, State
pittsburgh,pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer xlt
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've been able to leaf through and find answers to all my questions until now. I cant post anywhere but here, so i hope i still get some replies. Ok heres the prob. I just recently replaced the timing chains, buffers, and oil pump (since i was in there) in my 99 explorer 4.0 sohc. I started it up and it ran for about 5 min with a slight lifter tick. I took off the oil cap while running and the lifter tick went away ( a bit strange ). It ran totally smooth for about a min. and then began to tap up top pretty bad. I then checked the oil pres. gauge and it read none. So i shut the truck off. And thats where i'm at right now. Just a note: the engine was really dirty when I had it apart, i did clean it pretty well. I'm also using an offbrand oil filter because i plan on changing it again soon. Any ideas.
thanks, marty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've been able to leaf through and find answers to all my questions until now. I cant post anywhere but here, so i hope i still get some replies. Ok heres the prob. I just recently replaced the timing chains, buffers, and oil pump (since i was in there) in my 99 explorer 4.0 sohc. I started it up and it ran for about 5 min with a slight lifter tick. I took off the oil cap while running and the lifter tick went away ( a bit strange ). It ran totally smooth for about a min. and then began to tap up top pretty bad. I then checked the oil pres. gauge and it read none. So i shut the truck off. And thats where i'm at right now. Just a note: the engine was really dirty when I had it apart, i did clean it pretty well. I'm also using an offbrand oil filter because i plan on changing it again soon. Any ideas.
thanks, marty

Lifter tic?

Hook up an oil pressure gauge to the port where the sender is (at the bottom left front of the block). Make sure you have oil pressure, because it sounds like you probably don't. If you don't have oil pressure, you probably made a mistake installing the oil pump. :(

I dont see how i could have made a mistake its pretty straight forward: new pump, gaskets, drive goes into hole, pump to block, and sump to pump. I even primed the pump before assy. What kind of reply is "Lifter tick?" If you dont know what I'm talking about than you probably cant help me. Stick to just changing oil. Maybe I got a faulty "new oil pump". Is it possible to access the pump with the motor in the truck?

I dont see how i could have made a mistake its pretty straight forward: new pump, gaskets, drive goes into hole, pump to block, and sump to pump. I even primed the pump before assy. What kind of reply is "Lifter tick?" If you dont know what I'm talking about than you probably cant help me. Stick to just changing oil. Maybe I got a faulty "new oil pump". Is it possible to access the pump with the motor in the truck?

How do you have a lifter noise in the SOHC motor?

tappet noise, you gotta measure the oil Pressure, faulty pump? anything is possible, wellcome to the site.

I wasn't trying to be derogatory with my comment - just that from my viewpoint, it sounds like you don't have any oil pressure. Could be a defective pump or could be something not assembled quite right.

Do you have the factory manual? I don't know whether you can access the pump without having the motor out, but because of the way the oil pan is on the 4.0, I kinda doubt it.

One other thought, you mentioned an "off brand" oil filter. If the filter is clogged or defective, it could cause low or no oil pressure.

Ya thats going to be the first area i tackle is replacing the oil filter and hoping its faulty. Aldive I've dealt with other over head cam engines and plenty of other forums, to which they refered to, any countering device to the valve with which the rocker arm fulcroms off of as a "lifter", just because its not in the center of the motor lifting a push rod, it still lifts and or holds up one end of a rocker arm and can colapse if there isnt oil present, (call it a tappet if you like but if your knowledgable you knew what I meant). Everyone else thanks for the info its greatly appreciated. Any other ideas keep em coming. P.S.-- Aldive, I love that red accent you applied to your calipers, plastic and caps in the engine bay. :rolleyes: you're like the ricer of the explorer community.

Ok i changed the oil filter and tah dah good oil pressure for about 1 min. The truck sounded perfect also. So now I'm going to do another oil change and add some kerosene, so the moter flushes itself. Hopefully after that and a couple of oil filters I'll be good to go.

Ok i changed the oil filter and tah dah good oil pressure for about 1 min. The truck sounded perfect also. So now I'm going to do another oil change and add some kerosene, so the moter flushes itself. Hopefully after that and a couple of oil filters I'll be good to go.

Kerosene:eek: If you must add anything use deisel fuel:confused:

Really, at what ratio? because everything I read says use kero. 2 quarts of oil and 3 quarts of kero. I've never done this before so I'm a little weary. I'll do a search on the diesel and seafoam, thanks guys keep you posted. I'm also going to post up later that it is possible to to the timing chains without the tools from ford, I looked all over this sight and found noone who posted anything.:)

Most of the threads on Seafoam are about using it to clean the upper intake/cylinders by introducing it via the brake booster vac line (or similar), but it can also be used in the crankcase. There are instructions for using it on the can. I have not used it this way, though because I use syn oil in my vehicles.

Really, at what ratio? because everything I read says use kero. 2 quarts of oil and 3 quarts of kero. I've never done this before so I'm a little weary.

I don't KNOW if this is "FO REAL." Kero??

Others, have also mentioned ATF added to engine oil, to flush. Search for that thread.

But, finding bulk Kero is a problem.....I guess you could buy a quart or maybe a single gallon at Wally World. It's in the garden shop area.........though expensive.

But for me, well let me tell you......I was using Kero for heating.......first problem, "find a bulk seller." Then to get an approved container (blue not red) for it.....did I mention it's more expensive than gasoline?

Your experience may vary.

IMHO.....forget the Kero.....just go to the auto parts place and get an, "Engine Flush Additive" from the name brand you trust......or ask the counter guy.

Aloha, Mark

Ok I did the flush and in the midst of it the pressure dropped again so I drained the oil and dropped the bottom half of the oil pan (it took like ten minutes to remove, very easy) just to find leftover sludge clogging the sump screen. After removing the sump, cleaning it, and reassembly the truck has been running great, I got about 200miles on it already with no probs.

Back