• Register Today It's free!

oil priming a rebuilt 4.0

Loren Smith

Reaction score
City, State
Girard, PA. 16417
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi all. I have a 2001 ST that I took the 4.0 vin "E" engine out and rebuilt it. I'm told that before firing it up, I should roll it over to get oil pumped throughout the engine. The engine is on a stand at the moment. Whats the best way to do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might could use the device @donalds and others have been using to pre-pump their 4.0 SOHC engines. I installed manual adjust tensioners in mine.

@DILLARD000 25,000 on one (the RH back one) and on the 2nd one 2600 both front and rear on it.

Tensioner, Camchain Timing Cam Chain For Polaris Ranger 900 1000 XP 2015 2016 | eBay

Hi. Do you have any info on the pre-oiler system that some guys are using? I need the info on the pump. Thanks

No pump
Just a tank

How does it work? Siminlar to a hydraulic accumulator?

Yep
Just a tank electric valve and a 30 second delay on relay
thats brillant. can i get info from you on the tank, valve and relay? I assume when you turn on the ignition, the relay closes and that energizes the valve (opens it). This dumps the oil out of the tank into the motor. Owhen you have pressure, you start the motor. This pumps up the tank. Once 30 sec are up, the valve closes. I see you went in where the oil psi switch was.

thats brillant. can i get info from you on the tank, valve and relay? I assume when you turn on the ignition, the relay closes and that energizes the valve (opens it). This dumps the oil out of the tank into the motor. Owhen you have pressure, you start the motor. This pumps up the tank. Once 30 sec are up, the valve closes. I see you went in where the oil psi switch was.
You nailed it

Here is a link to where I bought it but they don't supply the relay anymore and raised the price but eBay has the relays
Now you can build your own if you want to look for all the parts

The valve is normal closed with a one-way valve built in to it
So pressure can always go in but not out till the valve is open
The tank is a 32oz aluminium paintball tank
Npt fittings from the hardware store
Hydraulic hose and npt push lock hose barbs

You nailed it

Here is a link to where I bought it but they don't supply the relay anymore and raised the price but eBay has the relays
Now you can build your own if you want to look for all the parts

The valve is normal closed with a one-way valve built in to it
So pressure can always go in but not out till the valve is open
The tank is a aluminium paintball tank
Npt fittings from the hardware store
Hydraulic hose and npt push lock hose barbs
I’m going to build this. I’m starting to get rattle, unless I floor the gas and crank until I get oil pressure.

I’m having trouble finding the proper solenoid valve. I can find plenty of 12V valves, but not one with a built in one-way valve.

Is there a specific type that I should search for?

Could I just use a standard valve and increase the timer to one minute?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5574912417&icep_item=281960425919

I’m going to build this. I’m starting to get rattle, unless I floor the gas and crank until I get oil pressure.

I’m having trouble finding the proper solenoid valve. I can find plenty of 12V valves, but not one with a built in one-way valve.

U.S. Solid 1/4" Brass Electric Solenoid Valve DC 12V VITON Water Air Fuel N/C 853996003506 | eBay
1/4" 12V DC Electric Brass Solenoid Valve Water Air 12 Volt VDC - FREE SHIPPING | eBay

Look at the bottom of this one it has the arrow this it what you need

No you need a 30 sec on timer to get the cold oil

U.S. Solid 1/4" Brass Electric Solenoid Valve DC 12V VITON Water Air Fuel N/C 853996003506 | eBay
If you can't find one, use a standard 12V valve and add a check valve.

Another crazy question.... Does anyone know how much oil it takes to fll all the oil galleys, etc in the ford 4.0 to bring it up to pressure?

Another crazy question.... Does anyone know how much oil it takes to fll all the oil galleys, etc in the ford 4.0 to bring it up to pressure?
1qt or 32oz tank is what I use

Preoiler Operation.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back