• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pump Drive Shaft/Cam Syncro

nooberiffic

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
I am trying to round up some parts for a 93 engine. On the back of the motor where the distributor would go, is a hole where the either the oil pump drive shaft or the cam syncro is located (with the cam pos sensor on top). I did some searching and found out that 90-93 engines did not have a cam pos sensor. What I need to know, is do they still have the oil pump driveshaft/cam syncro (are they the same thing?). Someone mentioned something about a block off plate, but then what drives the oil pump?

This is what I thought I needed (until I was told 93's didnt need a sensor)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-0-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

can anyone help me out here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

another question, if the motor I parted out (for the intake) had an EGR sensor, was it a cali vehicle, or did they all have EGR at that point?

yes, the oil pump drive unit is still there. I suspect a regular sensor would work also, as a drive unit. The plug would remain bare is all.

I think rockauto.com sells both versions

If the 93 engine has egr, I am almost certain it is a california engine

Thanks for your help :)

The reason I asked about the EGR is I (when I say I, I mean the shop is doing, I am providing parts) am using a coil pack, lower and upper intake, and fuel rail, exhaust manifold and y pipe from a 93 explorer I parted out which had EGR, im almost certain as it had a what I think was the EGR valve on the drivers side exhaust manifold.
The long block has 93TM heads. if I get a 93 harness and computer from a non EGR it should work, right? I can have them just block of the EGR valve, or can I use the manifolds from my 2.9 (do they interchange?), and the 2 ox sensor ypipe from the 93?
Thanks guys for the help, im kind of treading water right now with this. I think I know more about this swap than the shop (and I dont know jack). I have got some help in other threads, but I think maybe I just need to be spoon fed a little more :p

I'm checking rock auto right now and cannot find it. Is it called the camshaft synchronizer, or the oil pump drive?

im looking on ebay and finding this part (under various names). Do I have to have one from a 93? or can I use a 94? I think 95 is different by the pictures...

Just ordered one from a ford parts place online. No picture, but the part # matched the one given to me by the shop FOTZ6A739A

If the 93 had EGR it was Calif emissions. If you have the cam sensor, just stick it in the hole and don't hook it up. Or you should be able to find a oil pump drive assembly for a motor without a cam sensor (cylinder identification sensor as Ford calls it). It seals with an o-ring.

The intake manifold will work if you want to make a blockoff plate. Otherwise hit up the junkyard for one. Any year OHV 4.0 will work. There are lots of these in the boneyard now because of the government waste-o-cars program. The exhaust manifold should accept a regular pipe plug. You can plug one of the O2 sensor holes too, the only issue is that the PCM will only be reading one side of the exhaust. Non calif systems had one O2 sensor where the two pipes come together so it could 'see' both banks. The harness and computer will interchange.

I am not sure what this motor is going into. I assume another 93. If so then you may not need to change the harness. If the 93 computer is going into a 91-92, you will need to change the harness. I am not completly sure, but non Calif 93s may still have had two O2 sensors. That is the only thing I am not sure of.

Hope this helps

ford guys called me back. Its discontinued. I manned up and headed to the junk yard after I got out of classes. six Explorers (first gen) and two rangers (first gen) to choose from. Most of the interior is gutted, but everything else there. Pulled the cam sync from a 93, will go back tomorrow to pull the whole harness and comp (and two new seats for the ranger)

The engine is replacing a 2.9 in my '90 Ranger. If I can just find out about the y pipe, as I have both.
Thanks guys

EF Rules!!

There is a company in Cincinnati Ohio called Green Sales. They specialize in obsolete Ford parts. Look them up on the internet, they may have what you need. They have lots of new old stock Ford parts for stuff back into the 20s and 30s.

I think they even stock items using the Ford part numbers. I have found all kinds of wierd stuff for my junk.:D

Back