• Register Today It's free!

Oil pump replacement

jason's 94

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer 4dr XLT 4x4
Did a search and found some useful but not everything I'd like to know. My motor took a dump, shooting combustion gases out of the passenger head gasket. Intake maifold gaskets shot, water pump just shoots water out of the peep hole.

So I'm gonna get a jy motor, wanna replace the oil pump on it with a Melling one.

Should I also buy the Melling oil pump shaft and pick up tube with screen? Does it have to be shimmed or anything to get the proper clearance from the bottom of the oil pan?

What else can I do to give myself of jy motor lasting besides new water pump, oil pump, plugs, wires, motor mounts?

I honestly have no idea about shimming the oil pump, however, there should be instructions including with the new pump that will tell you if you need to.

As far as making your junkyard motor last...if you want it to last a long time then take the time to buy a rebuild kit and rebuild the sucker while it's sitting out. It's a lot easier to do now that later and you'll have a motor that should be good for 150k - 200k miles or more. Of course, if you're looking for the cheaper route, then I'd at least do new gaskets all around in addition to the stuff you already have mentioned.

Personally, I'm always a little apprehensive about junkyard engines because you don't know how they were treated. You could get lucky and find one that grandma had since it rolled off the showroom floor and only drove it to church on Sundays or you could get one that had the ever living crap beat out of it. That being said, if it were me and I were even the least bit concerned about the longevity of the engine, I would tear it down, inspect it, have it cleaned and rebuild it.

I don't have the time to send this motor out to get rebuilt. I need a good none leaking motor ASAP because I will not be able to keep borrowing the jeep I'm using. I don't want to rent a car week after week.

Back