Oil sending unit faulty | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil sending unit faulty

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Hi My indash gauge show no oil pressure but in fack when the sending unit detact a pressure below 6 psi the gauge fall to anormal. But my pressure sending unit is new so it wont send false statement i suppose it can be a short in the wiring. But just in case do you think that a 4.0 1992 explorer with 6 psi or less oil pressure would be able to run without noises ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doubtful that it would run with 6 psi and be noise free....there would definetly be valvetrain noise

thats what i said. i have almost no noise...anormal noises for a 210 000kms engine :p I have a lot of shorts and that make me piss off because the temperature is becoming cold. I wont fix it except when my engine will begin to make a lot of noise :p
This engin is so good that i will put it in another explorer :)

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that your gauge is reading 0 even when the truck is running (and sounds normal).

If you short the wire that goes to the sending unit to ground it should make the oil pressure gauge go all the way to the right.

If it does not, then you have an open somewhere in the wiring. If it does go to the right then either you don't have enough pressure (doubtful since your engine would be very noisy) OR the sending unit is bad (it does happen).

~Mark

I thought the Explorer oil pressure guages aren't very good at measuring 'pressure'. I think the are more like an on/off switch. My 95 guage sticks all the way at low when the truck is cold, and if I smack the dash above the guage, it jumps right up.

I thought the Explorer oil pressure guages aren't very good at measuring 'pressure'. I think the are more like an on/off switch. My 95 guage sticks all the way at low when the truck is cold, and if I smack the dash above the guage, it jumps right up.

Correct, As shipped a 1st generation explorer oil gauge reads in the middle (or close to) when there is > 6psi of oil pressure. You can do a simple modification to the gauge (short out a single 20 ohm resister) and change the sending unit to convert the oil pressure gauge to a real gauge (that moves as oil pressure changes).

There are reports of (and information on how to fix) a sticking gauge when cold but that seems to only be on 2nd gen and newer explorers.

~Mark

Ok thank you...yes my sound is normal and the gauge when probed directly to a ground go only in the middle of the gauge so around the M of normal. Is it ok or it should go all the way to the right???

On yours, since you have not modified your gauge, should go to the middle. If you modified your gauge (shorted the 20 ohm resister) it would go all the way to the right. My message above should have mentioned that when I said ground it and see where it goes.

~Mark

ok I dont speak english asd first language so not everything is easy to read and understand for me :) Thank you anyway

you did fine. I didn't explain where the needle should go very well. I have modified our gauge so for me it moves all the way to the right. I fogot you haven't done that yet so I forgot to tell you it would go to the middle on your truck.

~Mark

Back