Oil separator, catch can, whatever you want to call it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil separator, catch can, whatever you want to call it

iwfur25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger XLT 4x4
The 4.0 SOHC seems to have a hyperactive PCV system. I had the pipes apart while doing a Seafoam treatment and noticed it sucks quite a lot of air compared to some other vehicles. Also when I had the manifold off to deal with the %!#$%$ noisy timing chains, it left a big puddle of nasty oil where it was sitting in the driveway.

I had hose left over from putting some of these on my other car, so the Ranger got one too.

Tapping into the PCV tubes near the front of the intake manifold:

IMG_2014.jpg

Perfect spot to mount it. I had to do some modifications... the fittings were tiny and one of them was arguably in the wrong place. So I added the one on the side, enlarged one on top and capped the other. There's an internal mulitlayer screen that the air has to pass through. This does quite a good job catching oil droplets. The can is big enough that I should get a year between emptyings (don't drive it all that much). The ziptie and bit of rubber hose are there because it jiggles around an awful lot with just the little metal bracket.

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2012.jpg

I run one on my high HP car, but that's because if too much oil clogs the intake runners the ECU will pull timing reducing performance, & that may lead to a lower ET at the track. On something like a X I don't think it makes enough power to really make much difference.
What kind of can is that? The screens can vary in quality & some are too big & some are too small.
A year before emptying? Mines half full about every 5K miles. I usually empty it once a month. But then again mine is car specific & is very easy to empty. Just unscrew the bottom & empty & screw back.

Back